• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power brakes on in line six?

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dumb question I’m sure but can you put vacuum assist power brakes on an in line six cylinder. I’m think no because there isn’t any place for the vacuum line on the base of the carb/manifold. Someone tell me I’m right or educate me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes you can. There are several ways to get a vacuum port. Take a look at any straight six car in a junkyard that has power brakes and look at where the vacuum line goes. Any threaded plugs that go to manifold vacuum that can be swapped out for a nipple?

Power brakes don't need an even vacuum source like the PCV. There is a little gulp of air as the booster takes the vacuum and after that there is no sustained flow. So even if you found a port in a single runner that will work just fine for power brakes.

There are ways (simple ones) to get vacuum. You just have to look a little deeper then finding a rubber cap to pull off and stick a hose on.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford likely made more inline 6 vehicles with power brakes than without. Remember, the Bronco was a pure utility vehicle with no conveniences till '73. They saw it as a farm and ranch 4 wheel tractor.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Add powersteering pump and go hydroboost?
That's my long term strategy but I already have the power assist and this project needs to be done. This project is a 67 F100 for my grandson.

OP
OP
lilthom

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input. If I switch to a petronix distributor can I use what was the vacuum port for the distributor?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Does the '67 have a load-o-matic distributor or a conventional distributor? The systems are not interchangeable. Advance is handled completely different and are not compatible with each other.

Either way you won't want to use a port for a distributor with power brakes. It will be less than full manifold vacuum, and you want full vacuum for power brakes.

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
I'm running them on mine, I've got it plumbed to a port under my carb that I put a T-junction in. Brakes work amazing, power discs are generally my first mod.

Deano

Bronco Guru
Are you going to use the angle bracket or bolt it straight to the firewall there is room ether way I would think