• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Engine - Parts List and Info For Install

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
STalon89 - I do not have a final decision for tire size, but with the 4R70W the gears would be in the 4.56-4.88 range. I usually upgrade to 31 Spline. I would do the same if it were a nice 351w build as well.

STalon89

I went with 31 spline and 456's as well. Running a coyote with the 6R80. Leaving the output on the Tcase stock for now, we will see how it fares. What are you doing for the gas pedal?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
STalon89 - Are you up and running? Please show pictures and list of parts used and I can add info to post #1.

I will use the Electronic Pedal from the Ford Control Pack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed the Coyote this past week. With the passenger side inner fender mod done, BC motor mounts and angled oil filter bracket everything dropped right in. I still think the oil filter may be too close to the frame mount but some trimming may cure this.

The inline brake booster bracket fit great with plenty of clearance with minor trimming and the WH 1" body lift.

Still many other things to mock-up, but so far so good.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I finished up the Ford Control Pack harness. I actually opened up the Harness and took the tape and loom off. I deleted and removed some wires that did not apply to my build. Supercharger wires and others.

Instead of using the original style Starter Solenoid with the Start Wire from the AAW Chassis harness. The Original starter wire form the Chassis Harness will fire up the Control Pack Starter wire with Fuse and Relay.

I will be installing the 4G Alternator that came with the BC Serpentine system and use the ALT wire from the Chassis Harness. The ALT wires were removed from the Ford Control Pack Harness too.

Since the Engine Wire Harness and Control Pack Harness both plug into the Computer, it is kind of limiting as to where the computer can go. Passenger side front corner seams to be the best spot.

The one picture is the Control Pack Harness placement with included Computer and Power Distribution Box. The other is the Completed loomed harness.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Control Pack harness.jpg
    77 Bronco - Control Pack harness.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 361
  • 77 Bronco - Loomed Control Pack.jpg
    77 Bronco - Loomed Control Pack.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

STalon89

I finished up the Ford Control Pack harness. I actually opened up the Harness and took the tape and loom off. I deleted and removed some wires that did not apply to my build. Supercharger wires and others.

I will be using the original style Starter Solenoid with the Start Wire from the AAW Chassis harness. So, instead of using the Control Pack Starter wire for the Starter itself, these wires, Fuse and Relay will be used for Aux. lights.

I will be installing the 4G Alternator that came with the BC Serpentine system and use the ALT wire from the Chassis Harness. The ALT wires were removed from the Ford Control Pack Harness too.

Since the Engine Wire Harness and Control Pack Harness both plug into the Computer, it is kind of limiting as to where the computer can go. Passenger side front corner seams to be the best spot.

The one picture is the Control Pack Harness placement with included Computer and Power Distribution Box. The other is the Completed loomed harness.

BC makes a computer mount that allows you to put it on the other side of the inner fender, hiding and cleaning up all those wires.

I am in the process of installing the power by the hour control pack along with a painless kit. I have been doing a ton of deleting on the painless kit, for obvious reasons. Any particular snags you hit as you get close to firing it up, keep me posted.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have seen that BC mount. I'm not sure that I like the idea of it though.

How is the PBH Control Pack Different / Same?

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
I have seen that BC mount. I'm not sure that I like the idea of it though.

How is the PBH Control Pack Different / Same?

I fabbed my own bracket this weekend.
Not terrible in cleanliness of the wiring.
Keep in mind on OEM application these are bolted to the inner frame rail and exposed to elements.

Attachments

• D4BB2C33-2B0B-4EFF-9C58-323D7F7F179A.jpg
    D4BB2C33-2B0B-4EFF-9C58-323D7F7F179A.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 485

STalon89

I fabbed my own bracket this weekend.
Not terrible in cleanliness of the wiring.
Keep in mind on OEM application these are bolted to the inner frame rail and exposed to elements.

Thats a good spot Mine will be same side, just in front of the fender well I think. If it isnt too busy behind the battery.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nickm - Looks like the Automatic Trans Harness on the Motor is A Lot longer from the front of the Engine to the Computer. The Manual harness will NOT let me get the computer in that location where yours is. Sounds like STalon89 is the same way.

The Computer on mine will be to the side of the Battery.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Control Pack harness.jpg
    77 Bronco - Control Pack harness.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 207

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Nickm - Looks like the Automatic Trans Harness on the Motor is A Lot longer from the front of the Engine to the Computer. The Manual harness will NOT let me get the computer in that location where yours is. Sounds like STalon89 is the same way.

The Computer on mine will be to the side of the Battery.

I’m actually installing the trans harness tonight.

Not sure why it would be too short...either way, both spots will work.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I mocked up the PS Bracket and ALT/AC Bracket from the BC Serpentine System.

PS Bracket - Install Lower Bolt from the Back BEFORE installing Angled Oil Filter Adaptor.

ALT/AC Bracket - Once you remove the Water Pump Pulley as the directions state, everything else installs quite easily. You just have to figure out which bolts and spacers go where from the parts bag.

Power Steering Pump clears the frame nice and remains on the Driver's side as stock.

ALT and AC Compressor clear the frame without modification and both are on the Passenger side.

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Sounds like a nice kit. You got a pic?
What motor are you using? 11-14? Truck? Mustang? Crate?
I mocked up the PS Bracket and ALT/AC Bracket from the BC Serpentine System.

PS Bracket - Install Lower Bolt from the Back BEFORE installing Angled Oil Filter Adaptor.

ALT/AC Bracket - Once you remove the Water Pump Pulley as the directions state, everything else installs quite easily. You just have to figure out which bolts and spacers go where from the parts bag.

Power Steering Pump clears the frame nice and remains on the Driver's side as stock.

ALT and AC Compressor clear the frame without modification and both are on the Passenger side.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nickm - The Coyote Motor came out of a 2016 Mustang with less that 20K miles on it.

I do not have any pictures of the BC Serpentine kit. BC website does though.

STalon89

I will be getting the BC kit in the mail today. Thanks for the install tips, I will be tackling it this week.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jason and Chuck at BC Broncos seem to have all the quirks worked out for the Coyote install to these Broncos without modifying the frame. It's a straight forward install so far using their parts. Expensive, maybe. Worth it, yes.

No two broncos are exactly the same, so there might be a little modification here or there. The later Coyote Mustang timing covers are different than the earlier. Slight mods might be needed there as well.

Hemmer

Hey guys I'm looking to do this swap. Plan on getting a crate engine from Ford. I have a return fuel system for my old 5.0 set up. I heard I just need a regulator to make it work with the coyote? Is this true and if so what regulator do I need ?
Thank you.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hemmer - There are many choices for a return type regulator. Has to have a vacuum source as well.

Depending on what transmission you are going to install will make a difference. You will need the Automatic Engine Harness and Automatic Control Pack with the 6R80 Automatic.

ANY other transmission and get the Manual Engine Harness and Ford Control Pack for a Manual shift. Even if going to AOD or 4R70W.

Look at the Control Packs at Ford Parts and download the PDF file for the instructions. Read this a few times over to understand what you are in for. Really not that bad actually.

Hemmer

Ok thank you yes I'm getting the controll pack from Ford racing for the newer engines. I am getting a 6r80 from eBay used. Do I need a newer style 6r80 to go with the newer engine ?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do not know all the details about the 6R80. It is the newer style of AOD. I think the 4x4 version out of an F150 is best. Need to check around to confirm.

I will be installing the 4R70W in mine.

Is there a Ford Crate that comes with the Automatic Engine Harness for use with the 6R80? I have one for sale if you need one.