• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Originality... concerned about hurting the car's value?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My vote would be for bolt on items, thought about upgrading to a larger version of the I6 instead of putting a V8 in it?

Last edited:

norm02

Since it’s already restored to original specs, my vote would be to leave it alone other than adding a dual reservoir master cylinder. Regardless of opinions, it’s your truck and you should do whatever you want that will make you happy. That being said, make sure retain ALL of your original parts and don’t do anything that can’t be returned back to original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you want to show it and almost never drive it leave it alone.

Its not original now so it doesn't matter much in the long run. Stock early Bronco's are beasts to drive. That's why there are so many survivors. If you want it to be a classic drivers car then upgrade all you will. Stock 66 Broncos are not remotely fun to drive on the highways near any big cities. Your just a little bug waiting to get smacked by someone buzzing by.

I think as far a resale later, there are allot more buyers for Broncos with automatic, V-8, power brakes and power steering. I am not a big fan of collector cars that you can't take anywhere because they suck to drive them anywhere other than a car show.

Should have bought a 1976-77 for the wife and painted it turquoise.
I am a big fan of turquoise, I painted my 1974 Tropical turquoise.

You have a nice looking truck. You have to decide if its worth chopping up to make it comfortable to actually drive it. Or leave it be for someone else to chop up later after you dump it because it sits around all the time.

KeithKinPhx

Ask yourself do I have a classic Bronco or a Collector Bronco. They are two different things. The changes you are proposing will change the value to a "true collector". True collectors will pay a premium for the original untouched Bronco or any classic car.
I only offer this advice because I have a 68 Bronco, an unmodified 66 Mustang convertible and a fully restored 56 Tbird in the garage. I have stood the garages of these true collectors with 10, 15, 20 or more of these pristine classics and none of them are really driven except around the block or in parades. They know the mileage on each vehicle and the higher the miles, the lower the value goes for them. They know every body repair (painting hood & grill due to rock chips) and if the upholstery is original or restored.
So the wife driving it every day will reduce its value. Another problem is if the wife wrecks it because of the old brakes, it's value goes down too. If the interior is original then having the wife slide in and out everyday will lower the value. Changing the engine, tranny and steering away from the original VIN build will definitely lower the value to the collector.
I really went deep here because the highest value cars are not used daily or weekly, some not but a couple of times a year. You have to ask yourself if this Bronco is meant to be that original collectible to be sold a few years now to a true collector.
I remember the horrified looks on the faces of my dad's friends when he told them after the full restoration of the Tbird and winning Senior Thunderbird status at the car show that he intended to drive it regularly. They were stunned. "Do you know how much value you are losing?" My dad just smiled and said "Cars were meant to be driven, not sit in garages." We immediately pulled the generator and installed an alternator. First rock chip on the hood,"Son that's the end of a $10k paint job. Now I don't need to worry about it anymore."
Mods with on bolt on items can be undone. You just have to ask yourself if you are really going to undo it or is that happy talk. Some mods such as aluminum radiators for cooling, power brakes, disc brakes all make sense for a classic driver. They are an abomination to the collector.
Ask yourself if you have a collector car or a classic car.
By the way about a year ago I started restoring my factory original 68 LUBR with 87,411 miles. Interior was shot. Paint has a lovely patina. It's a classic so it's getting AC, PB, swapping 3 speed manual for a 4r70w tranny and adding leather seats. I am my father's son. I miss him a lot.
Video of restoration on YouTube under Rising Phoenix Bronco.

bmbm

original 66 or?

It is probably easier to just buy a Bronco with all the stuff already on it. V8, pdb, auto etc. Depends on how much time and effort you want to have in it before you can drive it. I looked into that at one time and it does snowball. Engine mounts, radiator, probably drive lines and then your 4:11 gears will be to low so you have to change that or go to taller tires so it will probably need to be cut...

chuckyb

Contributor
Dual master cylinder should be a top consideration if a loved one will drive it down the road. Other bolt on safety and convenience features can be added and in your case it sounds like the storage of the original parts is not an issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember the horrified looks on the faces of my dad's friends when he told them after the full restoration of the Tbird and winning Senior Thunderbird status at the car show that he intended to drive it regularly.
My dad just smiled and said "Cars were meant to be driven, not sit in garages." We immediately pulled the generator and installed an alternator.
First rock chip on the hood,"Son that's the end of a $10k paint job. Now I don't need to worry about it anymore."

I am my father's son. I miss him a lot.

That's a good thing to be. Sounds like a great guy.
Good common sense for life and enjoying what you have. Sorry he's gone.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for the info!

PDB is happening regardless, the power steering proposes a problem, because it's different components from a 6cyl to V8, so if I'm going to do it, I wanna buy the kit I'm sticking with.

Don't wanna buy a 6cyl kit, then swap to a V8 sooner rather than later... probably plan on the whole swap. I'll be keeping it for awhile. Worst case, I can keep the extra engine and trans on stands in the barn (what's one more drivetrain sitting in my way)

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll post up some pics once the car gets here.

Congrats.. Make it safe and fun as possible for the wife.. Value is on up there these days, So you should be okay

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That thing is Purdy...

I agree with all of your sentiment. I have been into classic Mustangs for the last 20 years, I am (IMHO) a near expert on values of them, and what is sacrilege to do to what cars. Bought the 70 Bronco a few years ago and have been watching them closely since. Still learning, but I figured as much as you said, so far as the mods I'm doing not being something to destroy the vehicle's value.

I have a nice poly barn and plenty of space to keep extra parts (still have boxes of parts to Mustangs I haven't owned in 12 years. ) so storage is no problem.

I'm going to start with the PDB on it, then when I rebuild the 302, drop it in with a C4 and the power steering. Should make it a nice little cruiser for the wife.

This is the car. It's being shipped in later this week or next.

KOqJiza.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
She's driven my 70 a few times, she has a 78 of her own, and we've owned 20-30 classic Mustangs. She knows what to expect!

Sounds like you'll be alright either way...

Good luck Don't think I'd change much other than making it safer, and stop better