• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got an extra 200k laying around?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Is a CFB worth $200K or a Maxlider 4 door worth $450K?

Vintage 4x4s aren't a commodity at this point. What I think is really cool about them in general is that you can buy and enjoy across the board and they are still a luxury item.

Fair point (above) on many of the Icon parts, and I think most of the high end builders would acknowledge that. That said, I don't think the other guys doing high end stuff are simply bolting on available parts. They all have their thing and they spent a lot of money developing it.

I think it's pretty amazing what bronco owners, small shops and high end custom guys are building. CFB, ICON, VR and all the important others I fail to mention have a defined customer base that's 'Buy and Drive' and they probably aren't hanging out with us but I'm sure they are loving them, or at least bragging about them!

BCH BRCO

I toured Classic Ford Bronco’s shop in Powell, Oh a couple weeks ago on a Saturday morning. The owner of the shop, Bryan Rood couldn’t have been more cordial. The quality of his builds is excellent and backed with a 2 year warranty bumper to bumper. He installs Coyote engines and all the good stuff that results in builds that are top notch. He had a number of Broncos ready to be shipped in short order. I would guess he had 30 vehicles or more at his shop.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I don't understand why the high dollar 4x4 builders always get so much crap on forums. From what I can tell, the guys restoring / resto-modding exotics don't get the same level of criticism.

Hard to imagine but the CFB, ICON, and VR Broncos are exotic cars and in some respects the prices are actually cheap by comparison. They are a different deal, for a completely different buyer and I think it's fantastic. Maybe not if you're buying a bronco but definitely if you own one.
Having worked in the Vintage Touring & Race Car Resto & Prep field I can say that not only do they get the same critiques, but their reputation takes a much bigger hit when they screw up. EDIT: I should add that reputation is extremely important in this field. Get a bad rep and you're sunk.

The last car that I worked on, 1 of approx. 275 cars ever made and the only one ever built with that specific set of body features, started as a bare set of frame rails. The suspension had to be found & rebuilt, the engine had to be found & rebuilt, the Borrani wire wheels had to be built from scratch, the seat frames and gauges had to be found and rebuilt, and lastly a whole new aluminum body had to be built. Since Zagato built the first one the only choice to build the replacement was Zagato. A Zagato bodied car with a body not built by Zagato wouldn't be worth anything. When it was finished the estimated value was about $350k in 1998 dollars.

For the price of that Bronco the door gaps should be perfect, the hood gaps should be perfect, and the body lines should be perfectly aligned. It is good, but it is none of those things. Someone who works on real exotics would look at that and laugh. There are so many things that the builder clearly didn't know.

Last edited:

Jc.av8r

Looks like a Classic Ford Broncos build. All of their rigs are priced at a premium.

The market is crazy right now...has to be at a peak. I just hope that guys like this don't totally saturate the market to the point that our values eventually go to hell in the long run. That said, like others, the value isn't why I have one...it's a love affair, not an investment.

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
BCH Bronco- Let's have a beer one day. I will express my feelings! We are 20 min from each other...

Tugross302

BCH Bronco- Let's have a beer one day. I will express my feelings! We are 20 min from each other...

I take it you’re not a Bryan Rood fan. I talked to him once on the phone. He wanted to buy my ‘77 special decor. I hit him with a “I don’t wanna sell it” price. He told me how much he was thinking (which would of gave me a very nice profit) but I told him no thanks. Then we talked for 15 more minutes. He offered to shop mine around to see what he could sell it for but I told him no thanks again. I’ll just keep what I have. Too hard to find replacements