• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer PS Pump PSI and FLOW modification

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I just did this mod tonight and have a few things to add. I pulled the pulley adapter off with a 3 jaw puller, it will reinstall with a PS Pump pulley puller/installer tool set available at the parts stores for rent. Doing this allows you to pull the guts out in a complete assembly, no chance of dropping Venus etc. I pulled the rear clip as shown, then tapped on the shaft with a rubber mallet to dislodge the rear cover. Carefully push the shaft through the seal to the rear of the pump and keep everything together. Practice this with the explorer pump first since you will be discarding the guts, all of them... Clean the housing and prep it for the new internals. I did some measuring and there is no need to grind the tabs in the explorer housing. The tabs actually engage the front plate of the pump assembly and the the plates are identical on each pump. The biggest change is the cavity as noted before. Set the new internals on the bench leaving the rear cover plate all together, shaft up. Make a not of the orientation of the slots on the front plate, these need to line up its the tabs inside and slide the housing over the internals pressing it firmly to start the O ring of the plate in the pump. I then lifted the pump and using a dead blow, tapped the cover in to seat everything. Getting the rear clip in is the trickiest part. Once you get it in, be sure to tap the rear cover in one last time so the spring clip fully seats. Use the pulley installer to press the explorer adapter back on. I measured how much of the shaft was sticking through the adapter on the old pump guts and set it back to the same depth. On the relief valve, I swapped only the spring from the super duty pump to the explorer pump. The valve in the pumps are slightly different for the seat so I didn't want to change that. Other than that, it was straight forward. I dumped the explorer guts into the SD housing and took it back to get my core deposit back. Done deal!

681a4153f7062a20e3de8f440ef95d15.jpg

048c691c44957ae5675a1f9c402e4949.jpg

9f02dcd98ac5f562fbd7779c78056dc3.jpg

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
[HIJACK] Interesting idea for a tubing straightener. Are those sliding glass door wheels?[/HIJACK]

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I have rebuilt 4 of these and measured just about every part you swap from the superduty pump - the only thing i can find that is different is the cam ring (see circle in picture below) the superduty one has a slightly larger inner diameter hole (elongated egg shape) at either end. Makes sense as that would mean the vanes in the rotor would extend a bit more and move more fluid I would suspect. Thats it, thats the only thing different between the two. I am running one on my 76 with disk and hydroboost, so far so good. there is a little whine when you are on the brakes and turning at a stop but otherwise its effortless.

file.php

Maverman28

Loc.
El Paso, tx
I'm about to put the steering pump back together and I'm not sure which way to put the thrust washer back in. I read to put the convex side facing the thrust plate. That doesn't seem like there will be much thrust if it's facing that way. I thought maybe that was a typo. Does the convex side face the thrust plate?

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Yes convex faces the back cover. Keeps pressure on everything there is a little play on the shaft but not much.

Rickb1b

FWIW, I did this mod about two weeks ago. Works great. I didn’t have to do any grinding like the first post. Just swapped the spring and guts over to the explorer pump. I didn’t measure the pressure before and after, but the steering isn’t nearly as stiff anymore. I’m running 31 inch tires, 4x4x2 box and hydro boost.

Dlish

Someone should modify these, paint them up all nice and sell them:)

Where is Sanndmann when you need him?

Hopefully i can share some experience for this thread shortly. Just packaged my Explorer pump and shipped to Lees yesterday. I have 37s, and plan on adding a ram this summer. No hydroboost. After PMing a couple people and getting trying to get more info, seems that explorer pump may be okay, but gets overworked with a ram ANd hydroboost.

I ran a saginaw for years, and have the brackets to mount it for the serp setup. I figured for the Lees price i would have the explorer one upgraded and be a test monkey to see how i like it. Can always swap back to saginaw.

To be continued

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
lol...
I have been looking for an 03-05 F350 Superduty in the bone yard to try this out. Nothing yet. Makes me wonder if I have to get this exact pump or if F150 p.s. pumps are similar (they look the same size...)
Anybody know if there are other core options?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
lol...
I have been looking for an 03-05 F350 Superduty in the bone yard to try this out. Nothing yet. Makes me wonder if I have to get this exact pump or if F150 p.s. pumps are similar (they look the same size...)
Anybody know if there are other core options?

Those pumps are mid-year 03 through 07 with the Power Stroke diesel, and also in Excursions of the same years with the Power Stroke diesel.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ Those models also have hydroboost and a very nice rectangular dual return reservoir.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Those pumps are mid-year 03 through 07 with the Power Stroke diesel, and also in Excursions of the same years with the Power Stroke diesel.

The engineer in me wants to know what makes the diesel super duty pump different... is it that it has hydroboost? or some other factor? If anyone knows, chime in.

Rickb1b

Here's the one I bought Rock auto $40 and no core A-1 Cardone 20311

Attachments

• 20311-RIT__ra_p.jpg
    20311-RIT__ra_p.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 65

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
One of the fellers here on CB only noted one difference.
I think its in this thread, anyway he simplified the swap procedure a bit.

This generation of the SD's do have a really cool reservoir for the system. Saw a guy here on CB mount it to the fire wall above the driver inner fender. Trick.

landshark99

Bronco Guru
The only difference I saw measuring the internals was the concentric circle - the space the pump vanes travel in, is slightly more elongated on the super duty pump. That’s it. Seems to me that would pump more fluid and/or pressure to be generated but I am not an engineer and didn’t sleep at a holiday inn express. I have swapped internals on 4 of these so far and they all seem to work pretty well.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where is Sanndmann when you need him?

Hopefully i can share some experience for this thread shortly. Just packaged my Explorer pump and shipped to Lees yesterday. I have 37s, and plan on adding a ram this summer. No hydroboost. After PMing a couple people and getting trying to get more info, seems that explorer pump may be okay, but gets overworked with a ram ANd hydroboost.

I ran a saginaw for years, and have the brackets to mount it for the serp setup. I figured for the Lees price i would have the explorer one upgraded and be a test monkey to see how i like it. Can always swap back to saginaw.

To be continued

What was the quote to modify from lee?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The engineer in me wants to know what makes the diesel super duty pump different... is it that it has hydroboost? or some other factor? If anyone knows, chime in.

I don't know for sure about that, but it is the pump in a lot more than just the F350, also F250 with the 6.0 diesel.

The gas engine versions had vacuum brake boosters.