• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock style starter solenoid mount need to be grounded to body?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So my body is painted Ryno lined, I'm installing starter solenoid and looking at wire diagram, it does not show a need for stock starter solenoid body/mount to be grounded to body on fender. True?

It grounds through starter switch on start and run, right?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Solenoid needs to be grounded.
Typically a raw spot of inner fender steel touching the solenoid mounting bracket is enough. I usually run a ground wire over to a spot on the fender too.
Overkill?
Yes, yes it is....lol

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if you drill a hole into the sheet metal for mounting the solenoid with a sheet metal screw you will have a good ground. An extra ground wire will never hurt. It does not ground through the positive cable connection. Good luck

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Yeah, the solenoid base plate needs to be attached to ground. You could run a wire from a mounting bolt to a known ground if you are insure of the ground at its mounting location.