• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI OBD1 New Harness Question

yakelys69

I'm looking at the (Ron Francis) - Wild Horses item #: 6048W (harness) & 6026 (Telorvek) Kits. Aside from the packaging/installation differences, I see that the harness uses 4 fuses and 4 relays and the Telorek uses 8 fuses and I think only 1 relay. The harness basically uses the 4 relays to power each of these groups [O2 Senso/MAF], [fuel pump], [ecm/injectors] and [coil/tfi] separately.

Pros and Cons of the relay configuration of the two?

OP
OP
yakelys69

yakelys69

I should add, if I did the Telorek I would probably add an eec power relay like this diagram instead of running it through ignition switch.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I can't say for sure how power distribution is handled in the second one. But, you literally have to wire every sensor into that big buss bar that they have going on. That's pretty close to building a harness from scratch. For simplicity, I'd go with the first one.

OP
OP
yakelys69

yakelys69

The harness I made 10 years ago and reworked never let me down but is beyond saving. To many splices and broken plastic. I have newer style injectors, maf, air charge and the computer is mounted through the driver side firewall. I don’t want to spend that much just to rework a new one. Currently trying to see my options, but curious about the relay configurations.

Also if anyone knows where to get the connectors I would consider building one. But would that require special tools to crimp properly?

OP
OP
yakelys69

yakelys69

EFI Guy, do you know if/what year explorers are 60 pin ecu's and USCAR injectors. Maybe reworking one of those is a better option at this point.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'm not aware of any Ford that uses USCAR prior to EEC-V. But I'm not a fan of using Ford USCAR connectors anyway. They are notoriously brittle after a little heat soak. I prefer to use the Chrysler USCAR shells, there are 2 types that are compatible with Ford pins.

I suppose you could rework a 99-01 Explorer harness and put EEC-IV PCM pins on it, but you would have to add the TFI wiring as well and the PCM pins are pricey and hard to find.

I'd probably just run the first harness and find some decent USCAR connectors for it. I believe virgin pins are available for MAF and IAT. I may have the part numbers around here somewhere.