• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering turns too easy

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Hi guys, I have a stock 6 turn box on my bronco. My box was rebuilt about 8 years ago. I had manual steering with 31-10.5's, so I don't have anything to compare it to. When I drive down the road, I feel no resistance. I can also 3pt. park with my little finger.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Put 35" or larger tires on it, LOL. Only thing I can think of is reducing speed and or pressure of pump.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's how early power steering was. Changing the pump or pulley will only cripple the output at idle. The spring in the spool valve alters when the boost kicks in. That's inside the box.

Adding more caster aids tracking and loads the steering box. Get as much caster as possible.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since it's lifted with larger tires, you have a few things to check.

1. Toe-in? What's it set at currently?
2. Caster? As said, this is good for on the road and will preload the system. What's your caster and which C-bushings did you use?
3. Steering box on-center? If you did not install a drop bracket, pitman arm and/or adjustable draglink, you may be dealing with a steering box that's off-center. This is also fairly critical to the feeling you're describing.
4. Tire pressures? What are you running? Anything over 30 is suspect. Not that many of us don't run 32 or even up to 35, but enough EB's prefer 30 or less that it's worth experimenting.
5. Smaller steering wheel. This is not a must-have of course, but in lieu of other things helping, using a smaller than stock steering wheel will "stiffen up" the feel.
Plus it quickens the steering (which is why it's stiffer) which on these things is pretty nice.

Paul

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You can go t fewer turns lock to lock. That, and a smaller steering wheel will make it a little more difficult to turn. Although both of those items make it a little more twitchy.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Put a steering dampener on it. That may help. I dont run one.

OP
OP
F

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for the suggestions. I would have never known caster could do that.
My bronco suspension is completely stock. All I have is a 2" body lift. This bronco does handle very well, no pull, vibration, or wobble. I have been running 26lbs. of air pressure which has helped. When I restored this bronco I replaced the tie rod, drag link, ball joints etc. It just feels scary light up front.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, just as an experiment, try 28 lbs of air in the front, and 22 lbs in the back. This is an air pressure adjustment used on race cars. I think this is the way to try it.
If the handling is worse, try 22 lbs in the front, and 28 in the back.
The air pressure adjustment is to alter the spring rate that the Bronco "sees" in real life dynamic situations.
If you get a change in road feel you are happy with, you can run different tire pressure front to rear.
Post back the results, and maybe there is more you can do to improve the handling.
Good luck

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thar was my answer. Get one of those cool rancho dual stabilizers

The coolest kids run 4 stabilizers. ;D

...and 16 shocks...four on each corner...

..chrome ones with yellow boots...

...jus sayin..

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, it's funny to goof around about 16 shocks, but new front shocks could improve the ride on the Bronco. If the old shocks are worn and soft that could be part of the problem, and you could see an improvement with two or more new shocks in the front. Good luck

Last edited:

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Does it return to center by itself after making a turn? Even though it’s stock suspension with a body lift if the c bushings have been inserted incorrectly or they are worn, then caster could still be out of whack...I had similar. Twitchy scary and could turn the wheel with a pinky so to speak. Turned out to be caster and new bushings corrected it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing you can easily experiment with at home is your toe-in.
Since the tie-rod components are new-ish, they should be easy to adjust. You can try in 1/8 turn intervals on the adjusting sleeve (either direction at first) and see if you note any changes.
If you're used to how the Bronco handles, from driving experience, you should be able to tell the difference of 1/16" toe setting. For good or bad.

Of course, knowing what your toe-in is set at currently is an even bigger help when it comes to messing about with settings.
In fact, getting an alignment readout on a machine is not a bad deal. Money well spent so to speak.
If you find the right place too, they may give you a discount based on the fact that they're only giving you a reading, but not actually adjusting anything. So their time on the rack is greatly reduced.
If you have a friendly tire store you deal with regularly, they may even throw your truck up on the rack for free. Heard it happen many times.

Oh, and don't let them tell you that you don't need the readings because they're "non adjustable" either. They just don't know how to do it.
If their printer is not working, at least get a screen shot of your numbers for the record.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
F

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks again for all your suggestions. I do have new shocks and have a steering stabilizer. The previous owner had installed new c-bushings and I never thought twice about it. I bought the bronco in 2001 and replaced about everything I could replace.
I put a level on u-joint at pinion and it reads 12 degrees. What should it read for stock suspension?

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_150746025.jpg
    IMG_20180318_150746025.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 98

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
your driveshaft to pinion angle looks good and that's what matters for the angle you are measuring. to get a good caster measurement you need to take it to the alignment shop and get them to check all specs and then give you a printout. then we can give you better advice as to your caster setting. that being said I would guess its pretty close to dead on since it is stock height and the u joint angle is so good

OP
OP
F

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
I will get an alignment done as soon as it warms up a little. I had it aligned when I first started driving it. I saved all my paperwork, but can't find the print out. If the alignment checks out, I'll start playing with air pressure.
I don't think my steering returns to center. I played with it today turning sharply in my driveway, and wheel didn't return.

centex77

35’s here and I can steer with my pinky. I freaking love it. Better than any modern vehicle with 35’s I’ve ever driven.

ohpoo2

Contributor
This may be out there but i thought I read one time that there is a torsion bar of some sort in the steering box that can break. I had same issue on a 77 could steer with one finger and I put another steering box in and it was much tighter. Did not have old steering box rebuilt yet to find out what was wrong with it. Good luck.