• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Gearing Help

Jamie Chriss

I am finally getting to the stage where I can put my welder down for awhile and start doing fun stuff again. I have contacted BC but I can't get them to answer my question.

I am running:
New Coyote Motor
2015 F150 6R80 Transmission out of a 4x4
33 Inch Tires

I want to select the best gearing for my kind of driving. After doing some research it seems 4.56 is my best option? I just want to confirm before placing my order.

50 percent of my driving will be local non freeway driving
25 percent freeway driving
25 percent light off road

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go drive a 5.0 4x4 f150s with 4.11 and see what the feels like, they have 33" tires stock. Obviously a Bronco can be geared a good bit lower cause they are not safe to cruise at 80mph and should be geared to cruise more around 70.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And a Bronco will have a LOT more drag (aero and rolling), witch is why you will need even more gear.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 4r70w and 285/70-17 with a stock 5.0. and 4.11 wasn't enough gears in OD. You have a much better transmission and engine, but rpms would be the same. I just went 4.56. Bronco is much happier.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Thanks. I scratch my head on this often, it seems there are allot of folks building Bronco's with Coyote motors but are any of them actually driving yet? Of course aside from the professional builders. I know i need to be somewhere between 4.11 and 4.56 I have to imagine this set up is already on someones coyote right now.. Anyway many thanks as always!!!!

STalon89

Im running 4.56 with the 6r80 and 33's. From everyone I talk to, that is what is suggested

STalon89

Thanks. I scratch my head on this often, it seems there are allot of folks building Bronco's with Coyote motors but are any of them actually driving yet? Of course aside from the professional builders. I know i need to be somewhere between 4.11 and 4.56 I have to imagine this set up is already on someones coyote right now.. Anyway many thanks as always!!!!

Nickm1024cobra has his on the road, and is running the same setup.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just like there were four or five gear ratio options for many vehicles back then, and even three options for EB's over the years (3.50, 4.11 and 4.56) there are as many opinions as to what is best for an individual, as there are individuals talking about it.
Not everyone wants the same thing. Not everyone agrees that one particular RPM at 60mph is the "perfect" setup for any engine.

And luckily, since most engines do have somewhat of a range of suitable engine speeds where it develops enough torque to propel a vehicle, more than one gear ratio can work.
Many 2wd Ford trucks came with 2.75 ratios! Can you imagine?:eek:
In those cases, I consider them, even with stock tiny tire sizes, to be at the ragged edge of even remotely acceptable. I drove a Chevy shop truck with the freeway flyer gears and a reasonably good running 350 in it and a manual transmission.
What an absolute dog! But it was a factory option! Amazing.

The Coyote I bet (but don't know) may have a narrower rpm range for acceptable torque development than a stock 351W did, but it runs super clean with all that EFI and computer controlled wizardry too. That makes a huge difference in what someone might find acceptable in the acceleration department.
So it may just come down to what you personally like. Are you happier with your engines loafing along at lower rpms and don't mind downshifting more to get it to accelerate quicker or climb steeper hills? Or do you want to feel more of that engine under the hood in the form of gitty-up from a stop?
Personally, I like somewhere in the middle.

That puts me firmly in the 4.56 camp though.
I think 4.11's would be totally acceptable as a cruiser. But if I was putting as much time, effort and money into building a vehicle for fun like you are, I'd want to err to the side of quicker acceleration. And for me, err to the side of happier four-wheeling.
Again, 4.56's with 33's.

Because anyone would be on the fence about this (and we almost always are as you can see by the sheer number of "what gear ratio" threads here), I would follow the recommendation of many, and only do the rear 9" gearing at first. Forget the front and just drive around for a few weeks on the rear. If you don't like it, you're only out the cost and time of the rear (easier and cheaper typically anyway) and only have to re-do it once.
Then, once you're happy with your compromise, only then do you match the front to the rear you've chosen.
It's been good advice for years, and any who have followed it have been happy with the results. Not everyone has that option of course, and some must do the front at the same time. But if you have that option, take it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
50 percent of my driving will be local non freeway driving
25 percent freeway driving
25 percent light off road

Well, from our experiences here, and based on where you live, I think you can easily revise that to the following:

40% local non-freeway (cruising around in general, and looking for a freeway)
55% local freeway (after all, you gotta get to all those non-local car shows you're going to enter!)
5% light off road!;);D

And that 5% represents a huge increase over most, because unlike most (who's numbers dive into the low 1% off road), you get an off-road allowance of 5% because you live in CA and in general you have access to at least a little off-roading action.
But those dang freeways get you literally everywhere else!

Just having some fun. We'll be interested in hearing how you really end up driving yours.
Is this going to be just a weekend take-the-kids-to-ice-cream-and-burgers, or you going to join in things like the Big Bear Bronco Bash and other events?
Heck, join a caravan next April for our next Roundup at Wild Horses!

Look forward to seeing you there.;D
(oh, and watching your non-freeway percentages plummet!)

Paul

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Thanks Paul as always!! I was thinking 4.56 as a good gear I just wanted to hear from others.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably. But I would certainly keep trying to talk to anyone that's done it with this motor and this range of tire sizes. And driven it regularly already as well.

Has anyone posted up dyno charts of the Coyote engines, as-is?
If I've seen them I don't remember.

Paul

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

I don't hear to much talk about people driving them only trying to build them. Good question Paul maybe someone will chime in? Thanks

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Leo thank you for driving up to San clemente on Sunday and sharing your Bronco and you vast knowledge!

So I am going with the 4.56 gearing in the rear, with either a Detroit Locker or True Trac, I am not sure what the differences are. After driving in Leos Bronco, with 35 tires I think there is just enough torque while cruising that the sound dosn't ruin a good conversation but has plenty of power when you hit the gas. Sold

The Dana 44 I have has 4:11 gears, in perfect shape, can I run it with the 4.56 in the rear? Or since I have every thing dismantled should I just upgrade to 31 or 35 spline?

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 51

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Detroit locker is a locker. Mechanical ratcheting. Engine will drive the slower spinning tire. As close to a spool without actually being a spool. Sometimes pop and bang, tends to cause a little jump in the rear if you get on/off the gas in a turn. No power or air needed to work. Been around since before the Bronco existed. Great choice if you do lots of wheel in the air type of wheeling.

True trac is a great limited slip. My favorite limited slip. Much friendlier on the street. The downfall is wheel in the air it goes into open diff mode. You have to step in and ride a little brake to load the limited slip to make it bite.

No, don't run 4.11s with 4.57s in the back. You can drive around just fine in 2WD, but 4WD it will bind up in about a foot. I would wait until you drive the 4.57 rear, make sure you are truly happy, then have the front done to match. That way if the 4.57 isn't what you want in the back, you only have to change the back to try a new ratio. Once happy with the gearing, do the front only once.

DCbus

4.27 or 4.56?

Anyone running 4.27 with a Coyote/6r80 set-up with ~33" tires? I'm rebuilding my axles now and am considering this options as a blend between the 4.11 and 4.56. Seems the 4.56 might jump through 1st-2nd-3rd real quick with the 6r80. 4.56 seems like the winner based on what I'm reading here, but curious.