• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hmmm. Dumb Question?

lawnmower00

Hey! I have a 1974 Ranger and there is a knob below the driver's side seat... not sure what it does. Any advice would be great... haha.

I have googled it but apparently I'm the only one wondering this.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Fuel tank selection valve would be the only factory item.

Is it on the vertical part of the seat riser?

I see you are a contributor. Take a photo and upload it so we can take a look.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said. If you have two fuel tanks and a switch on the dash, that switch is only for changing which tank the gauge reads from. Nothing to do with selecting which tank the fuel comes from.

Now, if the PO has changed it to an electric valve and left the valve in place, that would be different. But from the factory, as said the only thing down there by your right heel is the fuel tank selector valve.

And the description "knob" may be confusing too. If it's indeed just a round knob of some kind, it may be something else. But if it's more of a "lever" then that's likely what it is.

And if it's got a flat plate with the words "MAIN" and "AUX" markings on it, then that's a dead giveaway.
Fuel Tank Selectors

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good call Rustytruck! My mind immediately went straight to the floor, but lawnmower did say below the seat. Not necessarily all the way below the seat.;D

Paul

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

Thanks everyone for the answers! It appears it is a fuel tank selection valve! I thought the switch switched tanks so I'm happy I didn't depend on that! haha.

I did see a marking that says "main" under the carpet. Trying to fill the Aux tank was basically next to impossible. I noticed the tank is pretty rusty and the vent valve is rusted off! Attached a pic as well.

Thanks SO MUCH for all of the knowledge here. It's pretty amazing. Everyone is so generous with their efforts and time and experience. Anyone participating should be a contributor!

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 68

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That rusted line is the line that feeds gas from the tank to the carburetor. You need a new sending unit. Should fix that right up.

Filling the side tank on any Bronco is a nightmare. The later vented ones are easier, but still a pain.

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

That rusted line is the line that feeds gas from the tank to the carburetor. You need a new sending unit. Should fix that right up.

Filling the side tank on any Bronco is a nightmare. The later vented ones are easier, but still a pain.

Thanks for the info! Is it worth updating the tank via Wildhorses4x4 or just getting the 23 gallon tank?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Comes down to personal preference. Nearly 20 years ago I put in a 23 gallon tank to replace a leaky stock main tank. To this day I still have the side tank. 34 gallons of capacity if I truly need it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well the tank itself should be in decent shape in terms of lack of rust at least. It's plastic through and through, so in theory only the sending unit needs changing. But the tank likely needs a bit of flushing out since some of the deteriorating component is likely sitting on the bottom of the tank!
You'll know when you take it out though (which as you can tell is going to be a pain!).

But they do have a tendency to split at the top seam and leak like crazy when full. Unfortunately you just won't know.
You could fill it with water to see if it leaks, and not cause any trouble for yourself in the future. Swish it around after the fact, and use it to flush out any debris if you don't find any leaks.
And a bit of rubbing alcohol or a can of gas additive will let any residual water get absorbed into the gas at the next fill up.

But yeah, the big tanks are everybody's favorite decision these days.
You can replace the side auxiliary tank with a larger steel one or, as more are doing these days, eliminating the aux tank altogether and replace the rear with the big 23 gallon type.
Simplifies the plumbing, gives you more capacity than both the stock ones put together, and basically gets rid of most issues.

But it's all choices, right? More money, but worth it if your tanks are toast. Larger footprint (hangs down) loses some ground clearance for off-roading (not an issue at all for a mostly street truck), and all the things you read about here in the forums on the subject.

I'm one of the few that always likes both. I have the big rears, but like still keeping the side tank for that little bit extra.

But first things first. Drop the whole side tank to make it easier to service and especially to inspect. If you find it's also leaking at the seams, then your choices got a bit easier.

Good luck!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and not matter what you end up doing, test the new sending unit with your gauge BEFORE you install it permanently!
While it's out is when you can easily tweak and tune it so that it reads where you want it to read on the gauge.
The Bronco gauges are finicky and complaint-prone enough, without having to add that to the reasons to hate your gas gauge!

Forgot to say something about your selector valve in the pic. The PO sure did a nice job of trying to hide it's actual function didn't they! Can barely see the lever in all that carpet, much less the bezel/plate with the identifications on it.
Glad you even saw it!

I suppose this is the time to bring up the old "pull-for-heat" question too.;)%);D
Hey, it's not too early. Is it?

Just messin' with 'ya there. It's a common issue with new owners not familiar with all the controls, so if you're not sure what I mean by that, then this is the perfect time to bring it up.
Even though it has nothing at all to do with gas tanks.:p

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for the info! Is it worth updating the tank via Wildhorses4x4 or just getting the 23 gallon tank?

all about your needs, what you want to do w/the truck

personal preference..

some like both, some like just having the bigger tank

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

Oh, and not matter what you end up doing, test the new sending unit with your gauge BEFORE you install it permanently!
While it's out is when you can easily tweak and tune it so that it reads where you want it to read on the gauge.
The Bronco gauges are finicky and complaint-prone enough, without having to add that to the reasons to hate your gas gauge!

Forgot to say something about your selector valve in the pic. The PO sure did a nice job of trying to hide it's actual function didn't they! Can barely see the lever in all that carpet, much less the bezel/plate with the identifications on it.
Glad you even saw it!

I suppose this is the time to bring up the old "pull-for-heat" question too.;)%);D
Hey, it's not too early. Is it?

Just messin' with 'ya there. It's a common issue with new owners not familiar with all the controls, so if you're not sure what I mean by that, then this is the perfect time to bring it up.
Even though it has nothing at all to do with gas tanks.:p

Paul

Haha. he was pretty lazy with a lot of things. I'm guessing that you buy one and start to learn that a lot of people cut a lot of corners on a lot of things. Today I noticed that the defrost didn't have a duct connected to it as I was looking behind the dash as to how to remove the "pull for heat" knob... and then I found the duct just shoved into some insulation.

I'm replacing the knob on the lever and for the life of me can't figure out how to remove the old one!! Any tips on that?!?

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 22

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
The knobs either have a very small set screw on them (Allen type wrench) or they are molded on. My guess is that one is molded on. I did upgrade all of mine since they were a mess and I just cut the molded ones off and cleaned up the post. The new aluminum one slipped right on.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
7d5319ed094bf0f0a71b0d12210ebec8.jpg

Just went out and took a picture of what I put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

7d5319ed094bf0f0a71b0d12210ebec8.jpg

Just went out and took a picture of what I put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those knobs look great!! Thanks for taking that pic. I took your advice and cut it off. You were right... it was molded on. I will likely replace all of them at some point... till then I'll have one shiny one and the rest with some 1974 wear!