• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone run MSD Atomic 2900 EFI kit

broncoP

Contributor
Considering the Msd Atomic 2900 efi kit. Anyone run this setup, thoughts. Read some mixed reviews

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I researched them and was not impressed with the issues. Basically they come down to either you can get a motor to idle good and drive good but perform well or perform really good, idle not so hot and drivability is so so. Add to it that any upgrade you want to do involves having to buy all of their other components like for timing control etc. they just become extremely expensive. I went with the FiTech and have no complaints. The Sniper is good as well but both have issues if your platform has problems like exhaust or intake leaks, the system will pick up the slightest indifference and not run well. If you have a great platform they run fantastic.

MonsterBIlly

I have it on my 66 mustang with a 347. I like it. Works very well. Better than the fitech on my bronco. However, make sure your cam selection is withing their range.
I do recommend it. Easier to tune and runs smoother and less finicky than the fitech

OP
OP
broncoP

broncoP

Contributor
Thanks for replies. I guess I should have said that I'm looking at doing a trade with a guy for parts. He has a new Msd Atomic setup so that's why I was gonna go with it. It would be going on a 347 Stroker right around 400hp

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks for replies. I guess I should have said that I'm looking at doing a trade with a guy for parts. He has a new Msd Atomic setup so that's why I was gonna go with it. It would be going on a 347 Stroker right around 400hp

I believe MSD was purchased by Holley (or whomever owns Holley) shortly after MSD released the Atomic. I would be concerned about how long Holley plans to support the Atomic. This is a shame because the Atomic is (afaik) the only CARB certified EFI of its type.

The good news is that Holley & MSD can hopefully benefit from each others technology going forward.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Johnny here at WH has used an Atomic on his for several years now and absolutely loves it!
Once he got it dialed in (took about a week of trial and error testing) he literally has not touched it since. Fires right up, drives to the trails, wheels for the weekend, then back home.
Never a hitch.

We sold quite a few at $2400 bucks, before the FiTech came out with their competing unit at less than half the price.

If my memory's accounting is accurate, the Atomic never had any more, or fewer complaints than literally every other type and brand of EFI installed on Broncos. Aftermarket or factory Ford.
And among those, I think many here will agree that at least a majority of the issues with most are due to the install, and/or the general condition of vehicle's electrical system. Not including the FiTech FCC debacle that is.%)
The remaining issues are with sensors, compatibility with ignition systems, troublesome initial settings, reliability with the included tuners, etc. Most of which are handled pretty quickly by most manufacturers. To the original purchaser at least.
I don't remember any more trouble with the atomic than any of the others. The main reason you don't see them sold and talked about as often these days is the release of the FiTech and Holley Sniper systems, that were literally half the price of the original Atomic price, pretty much put the choke hold on any of the higher priced setups.
Now that it's more closely aligned price-wise, you may hear more about them. But FiTech especially really got a foothold on the market when they released their sub-$1000 systems and it takes time to recover from a beat down like that.
Hard to relinquish that foothold, but markets like this are notoriously fickle and changing.

Paul