• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone know this part?

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Just got a replacement alt harness for 71 bronco. Looks like some type of fuse? Have no idea.the new harness does not have it and it looks like it was spliced into the old harness
241524663b1d83a41cc60d20f3ba0a7b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Is a noise suppressor. Meant to take out some of the electronic noise that happens in am radios From alternators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'll find a similar one on the positive side of the ignition coil for the same reason.
Yours should be on the same connector as the Yellow wire in the "A" position.

Yours looks like it might have been replaced at some point, unless that tape is covering something else? The originals were often (always maybe?) a Yellow wire as well.
I'd keep it if you can, but make sure the connection is good and the main Yellow wire has not been compromised or your alternator may not get the proper charging instructions.

And if you can read a short between the wire and the outside case of the radio noise suppressor/capacitor/condenser/thingy then toss it out, as it's failed.
They don't fail in that extreme very often, but it does happen from time to time. One of the first things I check now, when I either have an ignition that won't spark, or an alternator that won't charge.

Paul

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
The tape in the pic is covering the splice from that thing into the yellow wire. Do i really need it? I have am radio but cant hear a thing going down the road.i mainly have the orig radio just for looks lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
While I agree it is a noise suppression capacitor, you may find your amp meter is "more" spastic without it installed, and you may get a slightly decreased voltage regulator life. But if those 3 things don't bother you leave it out, you can always put it back in later. The one on the ignition side mentioned earlier is a must have if you have points type distributor, it's there to keep the points from burning up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the third one of the group.
The condenser inside the distributor is a must-have in all situations with a points type ignition. But there should be one attached to the outside of the ignition coil as well.
Of course, if you've already swapped over to an electronic ignition, the one inside the distributor goes away.

As said though, all the reasons for leaving them intact are good ones.
And as said too, you can always put it back later if you don't like the results.

Paul