• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 alternator wiring

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Where can I get another wire connection for my alternater?
40e60ba5576d690e57aef36977bc6ba8.jpg
7b7456f1c92326388addc882f5283f5a.jpg
ae040b4962985e7d5b07d824c088a2f7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. I think right now they're the only ones that carry the factory replacements.
But they are year-specific and need to match your existing one to get it right without having to jump through a hoop or three to get it to work.

Do they have yours specifically?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and we have to ask... Just what happened!;D
Looks like your old Black wire took a pretty big hit. Is this a new Bronco for you, or did that happen when you were driving?
If so, lots of smoke I assume?

And where is the other half of the harness? Is there a connector with a fusible link that normally attaches to the starter relay?
And one last thing, if that is indeed the Black wire that melted do death, have you followed it all the way up through the dash to make sure it's all intact?

Definitely use a fusible link, or a fuse, to protect it again.

Good luck.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm. I think I would upgrade to a 3G while you are there taking the Alternator wiring apart.

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
I have no idea what happened to it.have had the bronco 8 years. That harness has always had black electrical tape around it. Haven't really paid much attention to it but wasn't getting in noise other than clicking noise and looked at it and that ground wire that screws into the wall had rusted and broke. That's when I noticed the wire it was connected to

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Would a 3 g alternater have the double pulley that would line up with my water pump and crank double pulleys?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If a used junkyard 3g, it would always have a serpentine belt pulley. A new one from a store likely does not have a pulley (some do, some don't) unless you buy it from a Bronco vendor like us that sets them up for Early Broncos specifically. And then it would be with a single sheave pulley because that's what Broncos had.

But the good news is that your dual pulley will fit right on to a 3G. Just swap it from the old to the new. You might need to space it out slightly, but depends on the pulley.
The shaft size is the same though, so fitment is not an issue. You just look for interference with the 3g's aluminum case, or alignment with your belts.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...and looked at it and that ground wire that screws into the wall had rusted and broke. That's when I noticed the wire it was connected to.

Ok, so that wire is just a ground? I say "just" but of course grounds are critical to the health of any electrical system. And that wire is not doing much, or at least not doing it very well, no matter how you look at it.
Time to replace it for sure, but depending on what it was originally, it might not be part of a new harness.
Hard to say.

If you have always had good luck with your old alternator, and don't have much in the way of need for a better setup, then you don't necessarily 'have to" change. But it's a good idea because it's a good unit, so basically rguest's recommendation is a good one.
All new harness because you have to, so that's good. But you will lose the ammeter function in the cluster.
If you don't use the ammeter anyway, no great loss.

Paul