• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap questions

Bronco1294

Hey everyone! I'm looking at an explorer swap and am finding stuff all across the board. What's a "max" mileage you'd consider doing this on? Is there a complete shopping list of parts with pics- I'm new to this and not a motor guy. Struggling to get ahold of EFI Guy from colorado classic broncos. ANy help is appreciated- thanks!

Green_Bastard

While I’m sure we can all agree on hard limits, it also comes down to preference. I personally would look for something with less than 120k on it. EFIGuy is on here as well. Send him a PM and he will eventually get back to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While they can run over 250k just fine if taken care of, I would draw the line at 200k. There may be life left in it, but for the work to install one I would want it to stay for a while. 120k is a spring chick, 150k is broken in, 180k and the price is dropping, 200k better have some good service records and sidelined because it was wrecked or the transfer case is going out. Over 200k and it is a core, dingle ball hone the walls, new rings and bearings, back on the road.

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Found a good running 138k 1998 explorer- could drive it home. $1300 for the truck reasonable?

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Sorry about that. Tapatalk seems to break my forum notifications with just about every update and I often forget to sign in over on CCB when I'm browsing.

I'd say Broncobosher's advice is pretty spot on. At 180k I'd at least pull a bearing cap for a quick check, but I see decent cylinder wear even at 200k quite a bit. I've always looked for the ones that were wrecked because they were obviously running and it keeps the price low. That asking price is a little high, but I consider the miles to be pretty low.

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Found a 1998 with 138k- all in good shape he says. GOing to look tomorrow- will bring it home if it's all there. Anybody have any experience with the TBP efi harness? Fuel tank/pump suggestions?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Found a 1998 with 138k- all in good shape he says. GOing to look tomorrow- will bring it home if it's all there. Anybody have any experience with the TBP efi harness? Fuel tank/pump suggestions?

That is based on the Mustang OBD1 system.

It is a serious downgrade from the Explorer OBD2 system.

Also the Mustang PCMs aka ECUs aka ECMs (computers) are getting harder to find and more expensive.