• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

blueprint 302 running problems

A.Cicchino

Hey all, I had a new blueprint 302 installed in my 74 last august (BP3023CTC) and it has had some running issues. I have been deployed for most of the time since it was installed but I am finally heading home soon so I thought this would be a good time to shoot out a forum thread. The motor starts up, sometimes, and runs strong while it is idling but as soon as I touch the gas and let off, it immediately sounds like it has a total drop in RPMs and then eventually bogs out. The truck will only run for about 10 minutes before dying off. I am wondering if this is a carb issue or a fuel feed issue? I know reading this little bit of information can make it hard to diagnose so if you have any questions that I might be able to answer shoot them at me.

On the topic of starting though, has anyone had issues with burning through starter solenoids? Before replacing the motor I did not have an issue getting the old one started, but since the new one went in I have burned through two starter solenoids. The last time I tried starting it I even had sparks shooting up from the wires and they look burnt. Possibly missing a ground wire somewhere?

Thank you,

Anthony

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, go over all the battery connections, positive and negative. Make sure the engine to the negative post has a large cable bolted to clean metal, as well as a body ground to the sheet metal.
I would get a top quality solenoid from a professional parts store like Napa.
The stalling problem sounds like fuel pressure, carb, or the fuel tank not venting. You can run it with out the gas cap to eliminate a venting issue.
You can get an in line spark tester and check for spark while it is running like crap.
Good luck

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would be checking fuel pressure first. Then checking for a vacuum leak.