• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EnglewoodCowboy,

Have you received the Marti report on the '72 that was coming into your shop? Was just wondering where it fit into the list on this thread?

Let us know if you get the chance....

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
U15GLQ84408 (listed on eBay)

Date completed: UNK
T Case: J shift
Fuel line: UNK
Steering: Power
Transmission: Auto
Dash: Bars
TRS: UNK
Ambient Temp Sensor: UNK
DSO 14

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You gonna add your newly trailered in Q-Bronco to the list soon too?;)
Or is it here somewhere already?

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
EnglewoodCowboy,

Have you received the Marti report on the '72 that was coming into your shop? Was just wondering where it fit into the list on this thread?

Let us know if you get the chance....

I have not ordered it yet, been waiting on parts to get started on it and will be ordering it soon. I will update when I get it for this threads intended purpose.

L&D's Broncos

P & Q's

Well, I don't visit on here much and certainly had not read this post, well my 72' Sport is P65641 I have a 73' up in the garage that is a T-shift I will get it in a few days. Hope this helps. And thanks for adding all this up. Always interesting to find new/old problems....

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I have a 73 vin U15GLQ828. December 1972 build date on the door sticker. CA car, j-shifter, power steering, auto, dual tanks with return lines, and all the smog stuff that came with being a CA car. I removed the last of the smog equipment that was still left on the car when it came to me. The evap canister behind the driver's seat, didn't even know it was there, had to look up what it was.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Not sure if I did this one already or not, but it recently changed hands, so it came up again. U15GLQ54314 11/72

Light bars
Fuel return line
No ambient sensor, but has plug
Automatic Trans
T-shift (Forgot to actually make a note of that, so just going from memory) (edit: confirmed T-shift)

Kind of an oddball, with cloth interior including door panels and rear side panels, chrome trim around windows only (no top or doors), carpet with hold downs, dome light and headliner, but no Ranger, Explorer or even Sport badging.

Paul

Hey Paul, mine isn't too far after that one Q54334. No Sport or Ranger badging either...

10/72 Build (Titled 73)
T-shift
Auto
PS
No sensor just plug
Return line and 6 port valve
Lightbars
DSO 74

I really want to know what colors the grille, wheels, and dash were. I think grille and wheels were argent, but unsure and was the dash white or body color?

Mike

Attachments

• U15GLQ54334_dlxrpt.pdf
    211.9 KB · Views: 21

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Mike. With only 30 trucks apart, yours could literally have been the very next EB built that day.
But the "10/72" for the later number, and the "11/72" for the earlier one is going to really need some head-scratching to interpret that one!
A clerical error?

Wish I could remember who's that was, so I could go back and write in what it's registered as. Likely as a '73 as well, or I would have probably (I like to think) mentioned the discrepancy of a Q being registered as a '72.

Cool stuff still. Thanks for posting yours up.

Paul

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey Mike. With only 30 trucks apart, yours could literally have been the very next EB built that day.
But the "10/72" for the later number, and the "11/72" for the earlier one is going to really need some head-scratching to interpret that one!
A clerical error?

Wish I could remember who's that was, so I could go back and write in what it's registered as. Likely as a '73 as well, or I would have probably (I like to think) mentioned the discrepancy of a Q being registered as a '72.

Cool stuff still. Thanks for posting yours up.

Paul

Pretty crazy! You're welcome. Do you know what color my grille, wheels, and dash would be?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd have to normally say the grille and dash would have been standard white. I'm not sure if the Black color would have indicated any deviation from the standard layout, but someone would know. Usually you would have had to have one of the uprated packages to get the Silver/Argent grille. And even then the dash would almost always have been white too.
But there are instances of body colored dashes without it being a Ranger or Explorer. Typically would have been more seen in '76 and '77 on Special Decor trucks, but there are plenty of variations I'm not aware of. Others more familiar with the ways-of-Ford will know for sure.

In '73 I think you would still have had white steel wheels, but they did shift to silver at some point not far from there. There's a thread around here just from the past week or two discussing just when the wheel color changed. See if you can find it.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
In '73 I think you would still have had white steel wheels, but they did shift to silver at some point not far from there. There's a thread around here just from the past week or two discussing just when the wheel color changed. See if you can find it.

Thanks Paul!

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Looks like you found the thread mpboxer! Be careful, you can spend hours on here and not even realize it.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Mine is a 72 with a t shift but found out when I rebuilt it, it had j shift internals. Ken

Attachments

• vin tag.jpg
    vin tag.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mine is a 72 with a t shift but found out when I rebuilt it, it had j shift internals. Ken

No snap ring on the front output shaft? Is the serial number from the tcase somewhere between 165xxxx and 174xxxx? I've documented a handful of those. Yes, I keep track of that stuff too.

broncoguy58

Loc.
iowa
late Q code

!973 Bronco vin #Q71702. Marti report build date 11/24/72. Ranger Pkg, t shifter, no Emblem on glove compartment. Black with Avocado houndstooth interior. Marti says one of 39 with that paint/trim combo. Looks like they changed to J shifter soon after this build.
Almost done with the repaint... then it's time to sell her. My baby for the past 17 years.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Viper, are you still keeping track of the P’s and Q’s?

Just picked up a 72 that appears to be one of the “orphans” - P89446, titled 72, build date 10/72, T-shift, manual steering, 3-spd, yes light bars, amp temp, DSO 57. I need to check the return line.

I did not read every post on this thread so not sure if this was covered, but a 10/72 build date should have been titled as a 73 correct?