• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which fuel tank?

lagbolt

I’m looking for a good Efi fuel tank. I was just wondering what everyone else is running? I’m running a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 and would like to keep the fuel pump in the tank. Right now I’m running the explorer pump in a stock tank and the pump took a crap on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What size of tank?
And how much are you willing to spend?

Sunset Metal Fab makes the tanks that were made by Northwest Metal Products which earned a good reputation in Broncos.

Aero Tanks are good too.

There are some good aftermarket internal fuel pumps but $$$, if you don't want another stock Ford Explorer pump.

samamarshall

I just went to order a "sherman tank" from Wildhorses since I'm not sure if I'm going to have or need a body lift (it mounts on rails vs. strap or to frame so mounting height is adjustable) - they're 4-5 months out right now on back order.

Checking into some alternatives now so interested in what other feedback you receive.

PaveBronco

Ditto on the Sherman from WH, I had them install the pump also and they say they test the fuel sending unit. I have their 1 inch body mounts so the rail system works well. The -6 AN supply and return are helpful, if you're not using the return just cap it off. I got their skid plate also which fits the rails and is a really nicely made piece, clean cuts and bends.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Aero tanks will get you one in 10 days. Just got one. Cost was 80 bucks to ship it. They will build it anyway you want it. Mine was the 23 gallon set up for efi. It came with everything except the actual fuel pump. Use one for a Mustang efi. Total cost with shipping was 573. Ken

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Aero tanks will get you one in 10 days. Just got one. Cost was 80 bucks to ship it. They will build it anyway you want it. Mine was the 23 gallon set up for efi. It came with everything except the actual fuel pump. Use one for a Mustang efi. Total cost with shipping was 573. Ken

I second Aero tanks... Speak with Jake. It can be configured multiple ways... From an external Mustang pump, to fitting the 97-2001 Explorer fuel pump assembly in it. Doug

KeithKinPhx

Ordered the 23 gallon from BC Broncos. My understanding is WH buys them from BC and brands them as the Sherman. Look at the pictures, they are the same tank. Nothing against WH. I think they are great and have spent thousands with Jim and his team there but BC got to me quicker since WH was on back order when I needed one too. I went with an in the tank pump for a clean install which they did for me before shipping. Plus the fuel helps keep the pump cool and last longer.

I posted a video of the installation on YouTube under Rising Phoenix Bronco. You can what it looks like coming out of the box as well as installed.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Money really isn’t an issue. Just looking for something that is bolt in ready with pump already installed.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I like the areo except if ordering one be specific on the vents and ports you you want .

what I liked:
weld on mounts were nice to let me mount it high as possible
built in skid plate
in tank efi pump

what I did not like:
no vent tubes on the side for the charcoal canister( its easier to plug one up vs add one at a later time)
EFI ports need recessed in the top of the tank like the sending unit.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Ransil were the fuel vent and fill in the right location for easy hookup?

I really like the welded on mounts. They seem to be nice and beefy.