• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My tire leak is the Bronco's fault?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I just spent some time at Discount Tire buying a new set of Michelin’s and had flashbacks to this thread. I dropped off my wheels and tires and then got the same old story about valve stems. They told me they did not have them and could not order them. They had no idea where I might find the elusive “fat bottomed” stems in the correct length.

So, I told them to pull my tires off and I would be back to get the rims and would bring them back when I got the stems. Figuring I might as well use this time to repaint my wheels, I go 300 yards down the road to Autozone for wheel paint. I find a nice can of VHT wheel paint in the proper Ford Argent for ‘77 wheels.

On the next aisle over I check out the valve stems and looky there.... a whole stack of .625 inch diameter stems! Just the right length too. Here’s a picture in case anyone else gets the run-around from the tire store....
af0e4646e8c0238b47c329dfaae55e51.jpg

Last edited:

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I didn't read this whole thread so this might have already been said......

So I got these Samurai's (it's a long story over in off topic)......the set or wheels that came with it were from the mid 80's and has some rust inside. New tires wouldn't hold air but for a few days.

The tire store said "no problem we got a fix for that". They took a wire wheel to the rim inside where the bead seats and they put on this thick snot black paste. Put the tire on and the new tires have held air for several months now with no issues. We did have one valve stem that was leaking so took it back and they replaced the stem and no issues since.

This place is a local shop not part of a "chain". They thrive on customer service and fixing peoples issues. I find the mom and pop places are problem solvers where the big boys are just in and out service.

Tim