• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

decode 66 help please new bronco

signdude

new bronco owner here. i found on the frame midway between the vin number and these. c6ta 53051 2a and help with what these are? thanks

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
If your looking for the complete VIN, there will be one on top of the passenger frame rail about 12" away from the fire wall.

OP
OP
S

signdude

yes i have that looking for color trim etc. do people just have a new tag made and restore in color of choice?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
new bronco owner here. i found on the frame midway between the vin number and these. c6ta 53051 2a and help with what these are? thanks

yes i have that looking for color trim etc. do people just have a new tag made and restore in color of choice?

Perhaps I misunderstood your original question, the 'c6ta' number you mention sounds like the stamped part number on the frame channel, which tells you nothing more than the year it was stamped.

66 is the only year you can't get a Marti report, reproduction window sticker and (I'm pretty sure) a reproduction warranty tag. Do you only have the frame?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK

Marti Auto can make you a new tag. Most of the information can be figured out except for the DSO unless you have the original owners manual, window sticker or original owner's history.

-You've got the VIN
-Wheel base 092
-Remnants of the color anywhere? Not many 66 colors to choose from.
-Model was either u150, u140, or u130
-The body code we can figure out based on model type and seats if you know what seats were in there. If not, we should be able to determine by the bolt holes in the floor.
-Trans is C
-Axle code can be determined by looking at axle tag, or spinning wheels/drive shaft method, and can also determine whether it's limited slip.
-DSO info I mentioned above.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
C6TA 53051 2A

Hey signdude, welcome!
As the others said, that's your frame's basic part number.
In case you were not aware, Ford's numbering system (engineering numbers I think they would be called?) run down like this:

The "C" is for the 1960's
The "6" is for the year, so 1966
The "T" is for Truck line
The "A" is for the first Revision
The "53051" is probably for basic ladder frame category, but others can clarify
The "2A" is probably another level of revisions, but not sure.

In general, you'll find "T" parts on Broncos when they are unique to trucks (or Broncos alone) and other letters when the part is shared by other automotive lineups. Such as a 289 V8 that might be listed under the Falcon line.

A part number like yours "might" have been used over multiple years however, so it does not always indicate a specific year. The actual VIN or other determining factors can narrow it down sometimes though.
If yours is an early '66 with the forward canted rear shock mounts, that "C6TA" may be unique to one year only Broncos.
If it's the later style with the rearward canted rear shock mounts however, it's possible that same frame number may have been used for a couple of years. Any time a change is made that's large enough you get a new part number.
My '68 then might have a "C6" or it might have a "C7" or even a "C8" depending on what changes, if any, were made.

Don't know if you knew any of that already, but figured I'd throw it out there in case it helps you down the road.

Good luck. And definitely post up some pics!
You can become a contributor for 12 bucks a year and upload images directly to your discussions, or you can use your "garage" feature to upload some that we can see if we click on your link. Or if you use an online image hosting site like SuperMotors you can upload your pics to that site, then link them here.
Definitely give it a try.

Paul