• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show us your safari type top!!

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have a great friend that wants to build a safari top using a sheet of aluminum. He then wants to add safari type windows that he can roll up. Over the years I have seen pictures of other bronco owners tops and I’ve even created my own bikini top.. Can you post yours or someone else’s so we can get ideas or even copy what others have done! Thank you This site IS AWESOME FOR THINGS LIKE THIS ! All the best and thanks for the help!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Here’s mine, 1/8” aluminum second pic you can just see the low roof rack that I bolted to it. I built the cage with the plan of the flat roof so I mitered the corners and made it flat. The top supports the windshield too. I wanted make the front of it flush with the face of the windshield but could t bend it that far so I settled for what you see.

Attachments

• 36AC65A3-C9AB-4614-A87D-5D862599734E.jpeg
    36AC65A3-C9AB-4614-A87D-5D862599734E.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 239
  • B397FC6A-2AB8-4D7E-AB27-0492BCC371D2.jpg
    B397FC6A-2AB8-4D7E-AB27-0492BCC371D2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 218

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I purchase a sheet of aluminum to do the same thing. It's on the to-do list after the engine install. Mine will look similar to the one from Elite Broncos.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_8921.jpg
    IMG_8921.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 256

reynard101

Bronco Guru
How do you mount the aluminum roof to the top? Quick fasteners? Dzus fasteners?

Asking because my cage is done and powdercoated, not as easy to go back and weld to cage.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Asking because my cage is done and powdercoated, not as easy to go back and weld to cage.

Maybe use those clamps some here have been using for mounting seat belts to their cages?
Then bolt the top to the clamp?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I was researching hard tops a few weeks ago. I know that BroncoDesign has a safari option using their fiberglass top and WH, for example. sells a 'Hardtop Top' without the sides. This approach would definitely add an OEM element style wise.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Here’s mine, 1/8” aluminum second pic you can just see the low roof rack that I bolted to it. I built the cage with the plan of the flat roof so I mitered the corners and made it flat. The top supports the windshield too. I wanted make the front of it flush with the face of the windshield but could t bend it that far so I settled for what you see.

NICE!! That’s kinda his game plan as well! Thanks man

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Easy enough to unscrew if you want it off.. There are options for removable snap ins too

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thom on here Cut down a hard top using only the top and trimmed, welded back together to fit.. maybe he will chime in

Will look for pics too

I have a great friend that wants to build a safari top using a sheet of aluminum. He then wants to add safari type windows that he can roll up. Over the years I have seen pictures of other bronco owners tops and I’ve even created my own bikini top.. Can you post yours or someone else’s so we can get ideas or even copy what others have done! Thank you This site IS AWESOME FOR THINGS LIKE THIS ! All the best and thanks for the help!

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have an old top you can do this. I cut 11 inches out to match the length of the cage.

Attachments

• 733F244B-BA15-43A5-84CD-32C62B6E7B32.jpg
    733F244B-BA15-43A5-84CD-32C62B6E7B32.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 165

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

I welded tabs on when I built the cage. On a powder coated cage you could drill it and put 1/4-20 riv-nuts in the tube you would just need to be very diligent about using sealant on them to keep water from seeping into the tube. Also if you put a bead of silicone caulk on top of the tubes under the top it will be nice and quiet, no rattles and no flapping in the wind. I started doing it because I couldn’t make a fabric top last a week without damage from extreme cross winds or tree limbs grabbing ahold and not letting go.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! Keep them coming!

Has anyone attached their own version of roll up windows OR know of someone that did OR does anyone recall an older Classic Bronco posting/subject/link to or similar to this topic and subject!?

I think I remember a similar post years ago BUT I still have not figured out 💕😜😳😂😂 how do do a search on THIS EXCELLENT WEB SITE...or I would search myself!

Again THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT AND HELP!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! Keep them coming!

Has anyone attached their own version of roll up windows OR know of someone that did OR does anyone recall an older Classic Bronco posting/subject/link to or similar to this topic and subject!?

I think I remember a similar post years ago BUT I still have not figured out 💕😜😳😂😂 how do do a search on THIS EXCELLENT WEB SITE...or I would search myself!

Again THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT AND HELP!

The best way I have found to search the forum is use Google and add site:classicbroncos.com to your search terms.