• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage license plates

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I'm getting my bronco ready for tags for the first time in 3 years and I'm thinking about using some original 1967 Texas tags. Has anyone here done it? There seem to be a lot of rules about the older tags and am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze on this one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hotrodjohn

I believe you can use Texas year of make plates as either "classic" vehicle or "antique" vehicle. If Im reading the law right, the classic tag would require a yearly inspection and would have no limitations of driving. The antique one is for exhibition, parades, and not for daily use. Both require the vehicle to be 25 years old. Look up the Texas Transportation Code, Section 504.501 and 504.502. That is the law on it. Interestingly, the antique only requires a rear plate.....

Cipman5916

I run original 66 Texas plates on mine without a problem. You do need yearly renewal and inspection depending on your county.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In California if they are cleared by the DMV as not belonging to anything you can use them
Typically for a nice set of black and gold 60s or blue and yellow 70s plates they can run 250.00 to 300.00 bucks if they are nice

Hotrodjohn

The cool thing with year of make Texas tags is how they would change the colors on them. In the 60s they would go from black letters/white background (odd years) to white letters/black background (even years) The Texas truck plate, some at least, with black background had yellow letters in the 60s.. Then in 1970 they started going to white background with different color letters; blue, black, green, black, red... Then in 75 they went to the white/black letters with the renewal sticker on the corner....... yes I like license plates... lol

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Do you know if texas truck plates can go on a Bronco or do I need the regular plate? I just want to make sure its not for a semi tractor, there are a bunch of 67 plates on ebay, most of them say truck.

helo-mech

Take the form VTR-54 and the plates to the DMV, and as long as they match the year of the vehicle you are registering and are in good shape, you can have them reworked as long as you stay with the same colors, and they'll approve them. You cannot use Texas Truck, Farm, Motor Home, or any of the other designation plates. These where meant to limit the use of the vehicle back in the day, and won't be approved. As long as the plates are original passenger plates, are without a designator, are readable and are '67 plates, you should be good.

EDIT: I say you can't use TX Truck, but that's just what I was told when I went up one day. I've seen TX Truck used, but didn't argue. I've since just put the Classic Plates on there. If you can get them to approve the TX Truck plate, that would be cool.

Hotrodjohn

also, before you buy any plates, call your tax office and see if the numbers on the year of make plates you are buying are available to use or your wasting your money....

bchesley

Do you know if texas truck plates can go on a Bronco or do I need the regular plate? I just want to make sure its not for a semi tractor, there are a bunch of 67 plates on ebay, most of them say truck.

My Antique plate in Texas on my Bronco it says Antique Truck on bottom of plate.

Brad

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I run original 66 Texas plates on mine without a problem. You do need yearly renewal and inspection depending on your county.

The yearly thing sux but worth it if you got the right personalized...

helo-mech

My Antique plate in Texas on my Bronco it says Antique Truck on bottom of plate.

Brad

Yeah they are not consistent with what gets issued. Mine reads Antique Auto. That being said, its only supposed to be driven to events and for maintenance. I may look at changing them to the Classic plate option, as there are no restrictions on the driving with Classic plates. Either way, I'll have them change it to Truck in 4 years.

However, he is talking about using old plates from 1967. As long as you have the 2 plates, not replicas, they are in good shape (can be refurbished to original condition), are not already issued (does someone now happen to have the newer plate with that number recycled by the DMV), and is not a designated plate (Farm, Motor Home, Government, Trailer, etc.) than you can apply to put the vintage plates from the year of your vehicle on as your registered plates. Historically they will not approve a 1967 Texas Truck plate or a 1967 Farm Truck plate; it happens though if you catch the right person on the right day.

If you go the vintage plate route, you have the 2 plates, there are a couple of years in TX back in the 40's I think that they only issued the rear plate so you can't use those years, even though the Antique and Classic plates they issue as new plates only have the rear plate. I even asked for a duplicate for the front, and they said no. I put my expired TX Antique plate on the front, and my current Antique on the rear. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

Hotrodjohn

Texas statute on antique plates:

Sec. 504.502. CERTAIN EXHIBITION VEHICLES. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, bus, or former military vehicle that:
(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or bus;
(2) is a collector's item;
(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is not used for regular transportation; and
(4) does not carry advertising.
(b) The license plates must include the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," "Antique Bus," or "Military Vehicle," as appropriate.
(c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.
(d) License plates issued or approved under this section expire on the fifth anniversary of the date of issuance or approval.
(e) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is:
(1) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; or
(2) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured before 1921.
(f) The department may exempt a former military vehicle from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. The department may approve an alternative registration insignia that is compatible with the vehicle's original markings.
(g) A person entitled to specialty license plates or to department approval under this section may register the vehicle without payment of any fees paid for or at the time of registration except the fee for the license plate.
(h) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle issued license plates under Subsection (a) shall be required to attach and display only one license plate on the rear of the vehicle.
(i) In this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that:
(1) was manufactured for use in any country's military forces; and
(2) is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
(j) Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296, Sec. 247(16), eff. January 1, 2012.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Amended by:
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1318 (H.B. 3425), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 196, eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 247(16), eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 508 (H.B. 792), Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2016.
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 324 (S.B. 1488), Sec. 18.002, eff. September 1, 2017.

bchesley

I know it says drive for repairs or regular maintenance. I drive mine on days that end in Y so I can keep the batteries charged and the seals from drying out. Plus I do at least one upgrade every two weeks too, that means I need to put some miles on it to see if the repair holds etc.....

I have been driving it to work at least 3 days a week for 5 years with out issue.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I know it says drive for repairs or regular maintenance. I drive mine on days that end in Y so I can keep the batteries charged and the seals from drying out.

X2 Amen brother...Drive it all the time recreationally and never had an issue.

I've not chimed in to this point because Im not in TX, but here in OH you must keep your historical plate in the vehicle while you display a year-correct plate. Cost me like $35 total and my plates are good til 2050. ;)

helo-mech

X2 Amen brother...Drive it all the time recreationally and never had an issue.

I've not chimed in to this point because Im not in TX, but here in OH you must keep your historical plate in the vehicle while you display a year-correct plate. Cost me like $35 total and my plates are good til 2050. ;)

I don't get to drive it everyday, but I sure as heck don't follow the statute. It seems to me if you aren't out acting stupid, no one messes with you.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I don't get to drive it everyday, but I sure as heck don't follow the statute. It seems to me if you aren't out acting stupid, no one messes with you.

Yep, the BMV even told me they'd never heard of anyone getting pulled over for historical plate abuse.

...and if you don't want that historical plate rattling around in the cab, here's what I did ;)

Attachments

• histPlate.jpg
    histPlate.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 72plate.jpg
    72plate.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 32

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a good idea! They don't require a front plate except on classic plates in KY, but you don't have to display it just has to be in the vehicle. Now I know where I'm keeping mine! Thanks 1strodeo

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
good luck here so far too

Yep, the BMV even told me they'd never heard of anyone getting pulled over for historical plate abuse.

...and if you don't want that historical plate rattling around in the cab, here's what I did ;)