• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cage/Duff Radius Arm Bushing (Not C Bushings)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What is the durometer rating of the typical replacement poly bushing?

Why can't we ask someone who makes poly bushings to increase the durometer rating enough to still allow that minimal amount of movement it needs but will increase the durability enough so we get more than a year or two out of them?? Not as stiff as aluminum but much less pliable than what we get from the typical supplier???

Just a thought from a guy that doesn't really know much about polyurethanes and durometer ratings...

: )

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Interesting thread - I've never heard of this either. Anyone ever try the delrin bushing suggestion?

Are they a commonly used size that are used elsewhere for other applications?

Todd Z.

Dlish

Acetal (delrin) machines super easily. We have a bunch of rod sizes on the shelf, does anyone have a spare bushing that can be sketched up for me? Could bribe the lathe guy and see if I could get a set machined quick. Would want the OD of the metal part that goes through the bushing too.

In theory, same could be done with a harder durometer poly as well. I just hating machining poly since it gums up and is harder to hold tolerance on.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I should have a spare set around here somewhere. Give me a couple days to dig it up.
Acetal (delrin) machines super easily. We have a bunch of rod sizes on the shelf, does anyone have a spare bushing that can be sketched up for me? Could bribe the lathe guy and see if I could get a set machined quick. Would want the OD of the metal part that goes through the bushing too.

In theory, same could be done with a harder durometer poly as well. I just hating machining poly since it gums up and is harder to hold tolerance on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dlish

Thinking more about this, I don't like Acetal (Delrin) much for the application. Its great for more of a static load and compressive strength is good, but the impact load isn't great. Im thinking the shocks that this bushing have to absorb might break/shatter it.

Nylon....hmmm, wonder what we have on the shelf. Pricey, but some impact modified nylon might be the tits for this.

Yes aluminum may be the ultimate in strength, but I think have some give/flex is important. Maybe I can dig up a couple options.

Chuzie, whenever you find one let me know, Ill dig through the cut-off rack and see if there are any good options.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The bushings I get from James Duff seem to last a bit longer -

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The bushings wear out. If you do a lot of off road stuff they wear out quicker. They are a wear item. They do their job absorbing impact be it on or off road. When you think of it the duff long arm is terminated with a solid rod end where factory has a bushing. So these 4 bushings are doing the work of the stock radius arm bushing. Instead of a solid rod end perhaps a Johny joint in its place? I just don't think it's worth getting to upset about it. They are in stock and pretty cheap, just some maintenance is all. Perhaps some oil lite bronze would make a good solid bushing?

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - I don't even get upset over it, I'm happy with how long they last. I went from having bushing issues to bending/breaking the arm itself, lol.

I will say the JD bushings last a LOT longer than the Cage ones I started with. I put them in dry as well, seems to help.

Weevil

Oh great
something else I need to check now
Thanks a lot (grinnin)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I wonder if Duff's know what the durometer rating is of the bushings they sell?

Back in the day when we were making the conversion from rubber bushings to poly (thanks James Duff), we later realized that poly wouldn't flex as much as the rubber radius arm donut style bushing. Trying to stay with poly, some guys including me, tried a softer durometer rated poly bushing in that application and found out that the life wasn't there...we could wear them out in a couple months of hard wheeling.

So back to the rubber ones at the end of the radius arms...now we run heims or Johnny Joints and don't worry about the vibrations coming up from the road...like we have our own massaging bucket seats cruising down the highway at 65mph!

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Thinking more about this, I don't like Acetal (Delrin) much for the application. Its great for more of a static load and compressive strength is good, but the impact load isn't great. Im thinking the shocks that this bushing have to absorb might break/shatter it.

Nylon....hmmm, wonder what we have on the shelf. Pricey, but some impact modified nylon might be the tits for this.

Yes aluminum may be the ultimate in strength, but I think have some give/flex is important. Maybe I can dig up a couple options.

Chuzie, whenever you find one let me know, Ill dig through the cut-off rack and see if there are any good options.
Here are the measurements Dlish.
d747f5e6d0a3ac4c57ea6c0ce235f72c.jpg
535ada499ed0b838fc21de27cb8e694f.jpg
14c2e640b2d54ad3c23e371cdd723249.jpg
656664c08cf8a624d58691a2e832aa79.jpg
158ac6187123511b965e2890fe3b749a.jpg

Dlish

thanks Chuzie

we have a couple material options, ill get the pics to the lathe programmer and see if we can get some test parts made

chuzie

Bronco Guru
My only concern measuring the bushing instead of the radius arm is possible variations due to flex of the bushing during measurement. Fingers crossed.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Went to change mine today and got the distinct impression the Bronco doesn't want fixing.

Floor jack died. Used spare bottle.

Radius arm bolt threads mangled. Repaired. Then rememberd the xfer case is in the way so screw that.

Decided to snatch off truck and winch axle forward. Then winch crapped out (corrosion.. Contactor ordered!). Used tow strap and truck.

Finally got it separated to find both bushings obliterated and i only had one spare (thought i had 2).

Guess it'll have to wait till i get back from work in 3 weeks.

Always a pleasure.

Oh and it was another record temp today with mosquito swarms to boot.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yea Chuzie....its damn hot in central Florida.
Typical October weather in Florida, eh?
Lol

Dlish

Chuzie shoot me a PM with address. I have a nylon set made, interested to see how fast you can blow this set out :)

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Sent.
Is that a challenge?