• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Venting!!!!!

Nowik35

So how many of you on here done something stupid because you were being lazy or rushing just to get it done just to do something stupid that set you back days/ weeks. Well this is my story for this weekend. Soooo couple weeks ago I got my new rear drums and didn't have my brakes yet so because I was riding I put my drums on just so I can have my rolling frame but as I was putting on the drums I realised I painted my hubs with rust converter causing the center diameter to grow. Well as a result the drums now didn't fit on bc the ID on ther drum was now too small for the hub. So what did I do like an idiot? Forced it on!! And this weekend I bought the rest of my brakes and wanted to build it BUT I couldn't get my drum off. It was on there good! I spent all weekend wrestling with the drum trying to remove it. I ended up cracking the brand new drum in the process. Ughhhhhh. Anyways I got it off but I lost 2 days wrestling with my own mistake! Rant over! Anyone else do anything stupid like this on their bronco??

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm right with ya, Nowik35! Time and again, 3 steps forward, two (or more) steps back. The School of Hard Knocks is not for the timid or the casual enthusiast. Think of how sharing your experience here may help some one down the road and think of the mistakes that may be avoided by checking this site now and then. Thanks for posting. That lesson will now be with you forever.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Argghhhh don't you hate that.. It's them little things that kill us in the end

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Yep, it happens to all of us...........
I had my Bronco inside the enclosed trailer and I raised the hood to hook up the battery tender. I saw it was touching the flourecent light cover. It has a bunch of little points in the cover. I placed a rag between the hood and light. That was all well and good until I forgot to let it down and went to a car show this weekend. The rag came out and the hood rubbed the light all the way to the show. It scuffed the hell out of it. I have spent two hours today buffing it out. There are two small scratches that went all the way through. Can't get them out!! I was sick to my stomach!

pipeline010

Ya.

My diagnostic and repair plan is almost exclusively based on creating major problems from idiotic mistakes.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... MAN. You didn't get no CHERRY.
20 YEARS When I got my divorce .. I went out Saturday Morning .. Ex had just left & I had no Job. & I didn't really have a vehicle. Well I had that old 1980 Bronco . But I'd been talked into selling my good truck. She drove away in the New Cadillac.. 6000 miles on it....
...SO I went to the shop & Pulled the motor from a 4x4 Dodge truck .. Farm Ride.
& Spent all weekend Putting in into a 1978 Dodge Flatbed I had setting around. Now this is August. Odd Weekend but no one came by all weekend. SO I'd cry a while & I'd work .. Did I mention it was August .. So It was very hot. .. SO I'VE NOT checked anything Just kept working & I have the headers bolted up The exhaust is hooked up . All the wiring . I WAS WORKING AT JUST turning the key & driving away.
.. SO WHEN I WAS CONVINCED IT'S ALL HOOKED UP COMPLETELY .. I turn the key
to start it . STARTER SPINS but it wont start .. Starter Doesn't Hit the Flywheel ..
.................SO I JUST SET IN THE FLOOR & CRIED FOR ABOUT AN HOUR.
I'm glad no one came by . So I crawled under it & Pulled the trans & scooted it back & swapped Flywheels . & After the other flywheel was installed .. I Put it all back together . But I'd already hit the starter so I knew it turns over.
After It was altogether & ABOUT 5 MORE HOURS & aBOUT 3 AM ..IT STARTED UP .
& i'D STOPPED DRINKING DURING MY DIVORCE .. A VERY SMART MOVE ON MY PARTS.
& The Shadow Boxing in the garage & My Weight Loss program I'd put myself on ..
& I drove that truck to town Monday.
....... I'll swear that was my lowest time .. Until Harold Dee was Killed..
I never felt a stupid as when all that work that I'd done ..But failed to check ...
.. To this day I stop & run a Spell check at times . OR A STUPID CHECK .

halfcab1969

Loc.
Allentown
I once wasted 6 quarts of good oil because I forgot to replace the drain plug. You live and learn from your mistakes. never did that again.

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
You can’t wrench on vehicles and not have this stuff happen. And close calls. I was taking a rear axle out of an old Commando back when I was a teenager. Had jack stands under the frame. Well I was laying under it and fighting and fighting the last bolt. It snapped and the entire commando pivoted back and hit my hip as gently as someone laying a hand on it. I didn’t take into account that the engine and trans had already been removed, and when I placed the jack stands to achieve the most working room possible, I put them too far forward. Should have known. By the grace of God they ended up on a perfect pivot point and my hip didn’t get crushed.

Guess who learned a lifelong lesson about setting jack stands properly...

Every person here could probably chat for hours about idiotic decision made while wrenching. You can only learn and pass the knowledge on.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
happens to the best of us chief..

... MAN. You didn't get no CHERRY.
20 YEARS When I got my divorce .. I went out Saturday Morning .. Ex had just left & I had no Job. & I didn't really have a vehicle. Well I had that old 1980 Bronco . But I'd been talked into selling my good truck. She drove away in the New Cadillac.. 6000 miles on it....
...SO I went to the shop & Pulled the motor from a 4x4 Dodge truck .. Farm Ride.
& Spent all weekend Putting in into a 1978 Dodge Flatbed I had setting around. Now this is August. Odd Weekend but no one came by all weekend. SO I'd cry a while & I'd work .. Did I mention it was August .. So It was very hot. .. SO I'VE NOT checked anything Just kept working & I have the headers bolted up The exhaust is hooked up . All the wiring . I WAS WORKING AT JUST turning the key & driving away.
.. SO WHEN I WAS CONVINCED IT'S ALL HOOKED UP COMPLETELY .. I turn the key
to start it . STARTER SPINS but it wont start .. Starter Doesn't Hit the Flywheel ..
.................SO I JUST SET IN THE FLOOR & CRIED FOR ABOUT AN HOUR.
I'm glad no one came by . So I crawled under it & Pulled the trans & scooted it back & swapped Flywheels . & After the other flywheel was installed .. I Put it all back together . But I'd already hit the starter so I knew it turns over.
After It was altogether & ABOUT 5 MORE HOURS & aBOUT 3 AM ..IT STARTED UP .
& i'D STOPPED DRINKING DURING MY DIVORCE .. A VERY SMART MOVE ON MY PARTS.
& The Shadow Boxing in the garage & My Weight Loss program I'd put myself on ..
& I drove that truck to town Monday.
....... I'll swear that was my lowest time .. Until Harold Dee was Killed..
I never felt a stupid as when all that work that I'd done ..But failed to check ...
.. To this day I stop & run a Spell check at times . OR A STUPID CHECK .

661buster1963

So I guess that by procrastinating as much as I do and sitting on the now removed rear seat drinking a tall scotch and NOT turning one damn wrench I may be gaining on my project. Cool

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
So I guess that by procrastinating as much as I do and sitting on the now removed rear seat drinking a tall scotch and NOT turning one damn wrench I may be gaining on my project. Cool

I'm not sure if your gaining ground but hopefully you're not loosing any;D

KeithKinPhx

Once I connected the accelerator cable on the carb backwards so when the pedal was to the floor there was no gas going in. When I went to start it would flood, duh. I would then floor it to get the carb open which really stopped dumping fuel in. The engine would then catch, I would then take my food off the gas which would cause the engine to max rev, backfire and then kill the engine. I would then start the same process all over again.

Had two buddies come over and for a whole Saturday we could not get it started. When we finally figured it out we felt as dumb as rocks.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

More venting!! Just finished buttoning up my TC Dana 20 from a full rebuild and realized I missed one needle bearing inside the idler shaft. Ughhhhh!! Now I have to tear it apart again just tip put in one tiny needle bearing. Nothing better than doing the same thing twice or three times!!!!

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
If you used a rebuild kit, they often send extras. I would be sure before I broke it open again. That idler shaft sucks to get in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

ok so honest question. I packed all the bearings into that shaft without counting and the last one would not fit. from what it looked like is the gap between the first bearing and the last one I placed was about 80% of the diameter of a single bearing. So no matter how hard I tried to press against it , it just would not pop into position against the ID of the bore. Anyways does that sound right or am i in fact missing that last bearing? should their be a tiny gap once you place all the bearings into position or should they be all snug with absolutely no gap visible? i REALLY don't want to tear apart the TC again , putting in that Idler shaft was hard and it took me like 4 tries .