• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Donor 2000 Explorer - What to Keep

ShoeSlinger

Planning on gutting my 2000 donor Explorer this weekend. What do all I keep besides:
Motor
All motor wiring
Radiator
ECM

The donor is in crazy good condition. It is a Limited. Was even debating on seeing if the seats might fit.

Thanks

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
An 02 will have a modular 4.6 if it has a V8, there may be one or two here who have done that swap but the 1996-2001 5.0 V8 is preferred.

The modular V8 engines are taller and wider than the pushrod SBF which makes them harder to fit in the small engine compartment of the early Bronco.
The 351 Windsor is more compact than the 4.6 and has 70 more cubic inches.

Unless you have a really short torso the Explorer seats will be too high at the base and you will find yourself looking forward at the upper windshield frame.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I hope you posted the wrong year or you have the wrong donor.

If you have the right donor, add transmission and rear end. You might be able to use the disk brakes, if not the whole rear end has some value for Jeeps and others.

Orig93gt

The 8.8 rear end fits YJ and TJ wranglers. A Jeep guy would snap that right up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Radiator is no good to you if I remember. The V6 w/manual trans radiator is the one you want if you're hoping to use that in a Bronco.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Get the rollover inertia switch and its pigtail from the upper right corner of the passenger foot well.
All the air intake parts.

I don't think the 5.0 radiator is the one that works for the Bronco.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Well, there is a lot to add to this thread. It really depends on what you plan to do. Are you going to run the evap system? Are you going to keep 2,4 or 0 O2 sensors? Are you going manual or auto trans?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well, there is a lot to add to this thread. It really depends on what you plan to do. Are you going to run the evap system? Are you going to keep 2,4 or 0 O2 sensors? Are you going manual or auto trans?

How are you setting up your fuel system. 2000 should be a returnless system, with fuel pressure regulation done in the tank.

You can do an internal pump with and external regulator... You can buy an Areo tank that is set up to accept the factory fuel pump assembly... which you can take from the donor and then cut a short section of the fuel pump wiring harness with the plug. That way you can go to any auto parts store and buy a replacement without mods needing to be done.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Mine is a 99

So depending on late or early 99 it could be a return or non return.

One extra line makes it a little busier as you can see...

The one thing you want to make sure of is that you can get to the fittings when you engine compartment is all assembled... Unlike mine :( Which can be a pain in the the " "

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Everything physically attached to the engine. Bonus points for transmission.
Air intake plumbing, with MAF sensor.
OBD2 port and inertia switch (with pigtail) from inside the cab.
Engine harness, transmission harness, and firewall harness (pic below).

Optional stuff to take:

Fuel line plumbing.
Fuel pump assembly.
Power steering pressure hose.
Cruise control module.

Here's a picture of where to make the cut on the firewall harness. Make the cut in red, you want to keep everything in yellow in one piece. 98-01 will not have the small relay box in this picture. But, there is one you can steal from under the air cleaner. You still make the cut just behind the driver's side headlight.

9ngCH6U.jpg

Jackofalldave

I have a 77 with 302 and auto transmission. Will a 2000 5.0 explorer engine bolt up to the c4 tranny? Is the flex plate the same? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

BroncoChicken

C4 will bolt right up. The flex plates are different imbalance. Explorer plates are 50oz and the Bronco plates are 28oz. I’m not sure if the tooth count is the same.

Jackofalldave

Thanks. If the tooth count is the same on the explorer's ring gear / flex plate, I'll be in business. It's the torque converter I'm wondering if the holes are in the same location in the flex plate. Are far as wiring, Ron Francis sells telorvek wiring harness that fit about anything. I've got one in my 55' F100 with a 96' PI 4.6 and 4R70W. I used a mustang harness on a 68' torino fastback in which I installed a 90' Lincoln mark VII 5.0 HO drive train. Was a bit of work to get it all sorted out but ran like a charm.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have a 77 with 302 and auto transmission. Will a 2000 5.0 explorer engine bolt up to the c4 tranny? Is the flex plate the same? Thanks

If your torque converter for your C4 has the 11.25” bolt pattern, it will bolt up to the flex plate on the Explorer 5.0. If you have the smaller converter on your C4, 10.5” bolt pattern, it would be easiest to buy a new larger 11.25” torque converter.

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is '77 one of the potential odd bolt pattern years? That's where the torque converter uses the small pattern (I think?) that was only used during two or three model years.

The issue becomes there are zero flex plates available new at this time for the small pattern. This may have changed in the last two years or so, as someone eventually comes up with a new part to fill most needs. But as of last check, none existed.
You end up buying a new torque converter instead. You can still get the small converter, but not a flexplate to match.

Perhaps the simplest way would be to have a 28oz flexplate from the existing C4 re-balanced to 50oz?
I don't know if that's possible. Just putting it out there.

Maybe it's all moot though, if '77 has the more normal converter bolt pattern.

Paul

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Is '77 one of the potential odd bolt pattern years? That's where the torque converter uses the small pattern (I think?) that was only used during two or three model years.

Maybe it's all moot though, if '77 has the more normal converter bolt pattern.

Paul

I’ve never seen any of the 76’ or 77’s with the smaller converters, but they’re some here that say they do exist. If that’s true, chances are extremely slim he has something like that. I’ll agree with you, it’s gonna be a moot point here.

Mark

Jackofalldave

Well, the explorer's I found for donors have been run 250k miles. And I really want a complete vehicle to pull from. But I have a simpler plan. I found a 96 and a 91 f150 with 5.0 engines, a good 4r70w transmission in one. The other has a goes with 5 speed top loader of some sort. And they are $400 each. I'm hoping these will be easier to convert over as the 91 I know has a distributor and a/c even works. I want to get away from the v-groove belts and use higher output alternator as well. Does anybody know about the flex plate in these years? I know I can buy an adapter for the aode/4r70w to connect to the Dana 20. But the c4 would suit me fine. Thanks for all the knowledge from ya'll. I'm a Ford guy born and bred. But I don't Keep up with changes through the years.