• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flasher/Turn Signal problems

bigun

Loc.
Nor-Cal
Over the weekend I had to run the flashers for about 20 minutes. When I turned the flashers off,the right turn indicator on the dash continued to flash, along with all exterior turn indicators with the exception of front left. With the flasher switch on all work properly. I pulled the fuse for em flash/brake lights and the rear turns would both flash in either left or right position while the fronts worked correctly. This is a two year old build with new centech harness, new ididit column, and new turn signal buckets. All have worked perfectly the past two years. I’m pretty confident in my grounding on these circuits, and my initial guess is probably with the switch in the column with voltage getting to the flasher in either position but the issue with turn signal circuit at the same time has me puzzled. I haven’t dug into it yet, thought I would throw it out to the group before I start chasing gremlins..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that's a good one! Not sure I've ever seen that particular scenario bigun. Especially with a new harness.
Guess we have a new one to track down now.

So the year of the Bronco would not necessarily matter then, but what year is it? Aftermarket steering column, or original? If original, not a '74 column by any chance?
Just wondering if there was something wonky because early '74's came with both the new column mounted hazard switch, and the old one in the dash. But because you have a non-stock harness, this really should not be an issue unless both switches were re-used in the new setup?

Anyway, just a first stab at what's going on.
I would try removing the flasher units next, just to see what you get. One is for turn signals, the other for hazards.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bigun

Loc.
Nor-Cal
Thanks Paul, this is happening in my 71. I have installed a new ididit tilt column as well. I will see what happens with each/both of the flashers removed. I also need to try to find what points on column harness will prove the functions of both t.s and hazard switches. Not sure if I can check both of these switches with the steering wheel removed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it a generic Ididit, or a Direct-Fit version with the Bronco turn signal switch?

Paul

OP
OP
B

bigun

Loc.
Nor-Cal
I assume it’s a direct fit. Bought it from wild horses. Not sure what the difference in the switches are. Had to go out of town for work so I won’t be getting into it for another week now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be then. The difference is that the standard Ididit columns (and everybody else's too for that matter) use a generic GM style turn signal switch. Whereas the Direct-Fit models us a Ford Bronco-specific switch so there's no confusion now or later when it comes to either replacing a worn out switch, or re-connecting said switch.

If there is ever any doubt you can simply look at the wire colors, or hazard pull knob.
The wire colors are all stock Ford and the pull knob looks like the one in this pic:
4464_1135_popup.jpg

Paul