• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor pan patch

Broncocw

For some reason , I can't use the search feature. I am looking for information on patching my driver side floor panel. I don't want to cut out my entire floor panels. This isn't a cream puff or a show truck. I just don't want my feet to fall through the floor. Can I chemically stop the rust and put a patch on top of the original floor? I plan on cutting out the floors and doing it right later. I just want to drive it now.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rust never sleeps but Naval Jelly will do a number on it.

A prior owner of my rig poured what appeared to be fiberglass resin on the factory floor then riveted sheet metal over them. It stayed like that for the first 12 years of my ownership until 3 years ago when I restored it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm with Cheif .. 2 of mine have both had a heavy coat of fiber glassing on them.
I popped out the fiber glass & got a thin piece of flat metal & Cut it to suit myself .. Then screwed it in place Then Under coating top & bottom . Several coats ... I'm find with mine Now If people get under it they laugh .. But I stopped the dust & It's solid .

Cortez

Bronco Guru
There’s surprisingly little online about replacing floor pans - I found a couple videos by using Google and just did it. Guess it depends on your goal...fill with fiberglass and make it solid enough for your intentions or restore it. My previous owner cut some rust and riveted a flat sheet of steel in place and it was fine...but it was unprotected steel and began to rust.

bmbm

cheap floor patch

There is a product called Rustmort I believe that seems to stop rust. I have used it just brush it on and rinse with water as I recall. Get it at your auto paint store. I was originally going to cut and bend sheet metal to place over the rusted area from underneath overlapping the edges of good original metal and then glue it on with PL400 which is subfloor adhesive made by 3m I think. Good quality construction grade subfloor adhesive is probably the strongest adhesive available to civilians. It will most likely never come apart.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think more important than fixing the floor pans is fixing the reason the water got in.
Most of the time it's damage to the cowl or cowl seal.
I'd consider a rusted cowl to be terminal cancer.

stubble88

What about just cutting the bad parts out. And using the new pan as a donor? Instead of the entire floor?
I only have a small section on both sides Thinking it will save a ton of work.
Also it was part of the OP question.