• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trade Old Duff Lift for New Wild Horses Lift?

CincoBravo

Loc.
Oxford, MS
I have a '77 with an old James Duff lift kit that was installed sometime around '89 or '90. I think the lift height was 1" or 1.5". Nothing big. The kit included springs, shocks, and maybe an add-a-leaf in the rear. Fast-Forward to current day-- the truck rides like a log wagon. Very harsh ride. My question: Would there be any benefit in swapping out the almost 30-year old system for a new Wild Horses 1.5" lift? I'm looking for a smoother ride while maintaining the height. I know very little about suspension but maybe you guys can tell me your experience with the Wild Horses kit or just thoughts in general about how to achieve my goal. Thanks!

catfan

Contributor
Is it the variable rate coils, the came out about then?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There would be certain advantages from the newer designs in springs that most of us use for our rear springs now. Beats the old designs, and those with add-a-leaf kits hands down.

The Duff shocks (if that's what you have?) are excellent shocks too, but at almost 30 years old now, they must be showing their age at least a little I would think.
Even if low mileage, shocks can still deteriorate and leak or lose dampening consistency over the years.
So if you're going to change shocks as well, you can try new Duff shocks, or go to the Bilstein 5100's that are getting high praise from about 90% of current users so far.

But either way, just going "new" should improve the ride at least some. Going "new tech" (as in springs and shocks both) should make a huge difference in street comfort.
There's not going to be any doubt you're still driving a 50 year old utility vehicle, and not a luxury car. But the improvement is substantial.

And yes I'm biased. But no, I'm not lyin'!;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do realize that you're sticking with the 1.5" height too, and that not everyone has that size to offer. But even if the height is limiting your choices, I don't think you'll be disappointed going with Wild Horses product.

Hopefully enough to justify the shipping cost!
The good news is, if things have remained the same over the last few years, shipping to MS is somewhat less expensive than most other states for some reason. I have no idea why that is, unless the trucking companies happen to have more depots and routes that run closer to where the product needs to be. Or maybe just that fuel is less expensive?
Whatever the reason, even if it's still not exactly cheap, every little bit helps!

Paul

OP
OP
C

CincoBravo

Loc.
Oxford, MS
caftan-- I wish I knew the answer to your question but unfortunately I have no idea. I bought the truck from a family member so my only knowledge of the previous mods is tribal knowledge passed down around the campfire.

OP
OP
C

CincoBravo

Loc.
Oxford, MS
DirtDonk-- thank you very much for your insightful replies. I appreciate your comments. I may PM you with some follow up.

Quick & Dirty

I put a 2" Duff lift on mine in '98 or so. I was never happy with it, harsher than it ought to be. The add-a-leafs were awful. Took those back out right away. The remainder was drive-able, but not pleasant.

In the process of dismantling it for a ground up rebuild, I noticed the bushings were coming apart. The ones in yours are likely due for replacement as well. I always felt the urethane in these was too hard for a suspension bushing.

BpEDHNC.jpg

pQcfIKp.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Don’t judge a vendor by 30 yo technology! Almost all new spring and suspension kits from any of the Bronco vendors (including Duff’s) will ride better than what you have. I would consider going 2 1/2” lift - this will give you more tire size options assuming you’re uncut.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My 30 year old Duff poly C-bushings are still plyable.
Love me some Duffs.

Only one Progressive rate coil spring commonly available from our vendors that is softer than the duff spring is the Deaver Spring from the Bronco Graveyard. Some people have complained that that coil spring is too soft but then they add sway bars and seem to have the best of both worlds.

I have the Full Tilt Duff kit and my recently purchased Duff Progressive rate Springs look very different from my 1990 Duff Progressive rate Springs. Both Road pretty soft but the new ones are softer and clearly have more travel.

I don't seem to need sway bars with my Duff suspension and it rides wonderfully. Having said that all of the vendors have a pretty close Progressive or variable-rate coil spring available today. Anything you would buy from one of our vendors will ride much better than anything you purchased 15 or 20 years ago. But I'm still a big proponent of specifically Duff stuff.