• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Swap Fuel Feed

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
Looking to run the 99 Explorer EFI and am hoping someone can help me with pictures or advice on the clearance of the returnees fuel rail connection at the back of the motor. I'm trying not to use the extension piece that routes it to the front of the motor. It seems like by the time I add the Ford fitting and convert over to 6an and flexible line i will be hitting the firewall. Heard it mentioned people have bent the feed tube but am concerned about damaging it. It's only like 2" long and right out of the junction block. So has it been done, can it be done, do they make fittings to make a shorter transition? I don't have the d
Body on to really see what room I'm working with. Thanks

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I have no idea what you are talking about. But since I am in the middle of an engine swap from a 99 explorer into my 69, I am sure I will find out!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Use some heat to gently radius the tube as gently as possible...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Such fun...

Try doing that with AC! And a return line...

You have to bend it in small increments, don't want to kink anything.
I actually used a 1/4" socket, with extension, that fit into the rail inlet housing to bend it. It can be done, even with a return line as well.

Now having done it, it is easier to do with their extension section IMHO.

Attachments

• DSCN1764.jpg
    DSCN1764.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN2050.jpg
    DSCN2050.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 101

BroncoChicken

Also, use a 45* or 60* AN connector to go from the Ford quick connect to your fuel line. It will help minimize how much you need to bend it.

And, when you put the lines on, make sure you use the safety clips over the Ford fitting. Pressure will pop that line out eventually. If you don’t have them, head back to the junkyard a grab them before you start it up.

OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
Probably only need 10 or 15 degrees so I'll hit it with the torch a little and try the socket inside. Well maybe give the extension another look first!

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Remember that you want a little extra clearance for when the engine moves in the mounts.

ehumaui

Mine is to the rear and it is really tight. If I did it again I would go front side and plumb back.

Rc

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Mine is to the rear and it is really tight. If I did it again I would go front side and plumb back.

Rc

Same with mine. I am content after having bent it out of the way, but I could see it being too close.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i put a transfer punch of the proper diameter into the tube and bent gently enough to clear firewall. Angled AN fitting took care of the rest of the clearance.

Hank

Casey835

How much clearance should be sufficient? Half inch? More or less? This is one of my concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
I just looked at mine again. Remember it is the 99 Explorer with only a feed and no return line. Without bending i think the Ford connector threaded onto a 45 degree 6an fitting will put me close to parallel with the firewall and no further back than the back of the head. It will pass right over the back of the valve cover. On my other bronco there is about 1/2" between the back of the head and the fire wall so there should be room. If not I can still clean up and add the factory extension to the front. This is when it would be nice to have the body on.