• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Frustration! Fuel pressure takes a dive once hot

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
kyle, super nice find! Was a replacement OEM ford part from 81-96.

MonsterBIlly

My shut off issues start when the temp is 205 or greater. Usually in traffic. When it shuts off, i pull over and lift the hood. If i sit for 3 or 4 min it fires back up.
I will ad a insulating spacer and see if it helps. I wont have a problem until next summer.

Also, my Fitech display dies. Its the second one. Fitech already replaced it once when the button quit working. Now this one wont light up at all.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
My shut off issues start when the temp is 205 or greater. Usually in traffic. When it shuts off, i pull over and lift the hood. If i sit for 3 or 4 min it fires back up.
I will ad a insulating spacer and see if it helps. I wont have a problem until next summer.

Also, my Fitech display dies. Its the second one. Fitech already replaced it once when the button quit working. Now this one wont light up at all.

My buddy’s had the same issue, once it got up to 210*, it would shut down and the tune would reset itself to default.😡 Never could figure out what the exact cause was, although I know it was heat related. He’s now running an Explorer 5.0 OBDII system, problem solved!

Mark

bseager

I had issues with my handheld not turning on. FiTech sent me a new handheld and cable and that one wouldn't turn on either. Ended up having to send in my whole unit in for warranty work. Turned out to be an ECU problem and FiTech had to replace the ECU in the throttle body.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't know why they are doing warranty on the hand held controller. The is clearly the ECM on the throttle body that is flawed, shutting down with fairly normal operating temperatures.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Maaaan I hope that’s not what I’m dealing with. I got the summit pump airman was talking about. Hey airman, are you using thoutlet fitting that came with it that has the check valve in it? Seems pretty restrictive.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
I haven’t had any issues with my touch screen. So crossing fingers on the bad fuel pump. If the thing shuts down when it gets a little warm, then I will never make it through an NC trail in the summer. Climate change is real!!!

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maaaan I hope that’s not what I’m dealing with. I got the summit pump airman was talking about. Hey airman, are you using thoutlet fitting that came with it that has the check valve in it? Seems pretty restrictive.
I remember thinking the same thing but left it in anyway. I don't think we are using half of what this pump can do. I'm not concerned with the restriction for mine. You may need an AN adapter to fit your fitech pump lines.

Also, I always thought your trouble was the pressure regulator. If you lose pressure again, change it. As cheap as they are I carry a spare.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Airman, is that breaker necessary? Isn’t there a fuse in line already?

So, As I said, i have two tanks and a stock switching valve for the supply and the return. I sometimes set that valve in the middle as a theft deterrent. I did this with the HP pump and forgot to turn it back to allow flow, instant pop fuse. No problem, took radio fuse and went along my way. I put the breaker to save me from spending my retirement on fuses. fuse is fine.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
I gotcha. Thanks for your help man. Finally have a break in dad duty tonight, putting in new pump after work. Went ahead and ordered pressure regulator as well.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Ok, put that summit pump on as mentioned above by airman. And the fuel pressure is back 100%. And it is SO much quieter. Anywho, ha you thought this had a happy ending, it is still acting up... It runs like a champ in neutral but driving under even the slightest load it, at operating temperature it still is busting up. Keep in mind it ran fine up until about a week and a half in of install. Regulator on the side of fitech next? Or reset fitech?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Watch the fuel pressure as it breaks up. Is the pressure dropping off or staying high?
How fresh are the fuel filters?

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What does "busting up" mean? like starving for fuel? Are you running the pump straight from the FiTech (orange wire) or are you using the orange wire to operate a relay? I think both will work (i have done both) but I'm curious. Also, please change the regulator. I'll buy you one or paypal you $25 if it doesn't fix this. I just can't watch anymore ;-)

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Yes like it is starving for fuel. I’m running the pump straight from the fitech. Orange wire to + of pump. Hahaha, hilarious airman, it’s in the mail headed my way. Hopefully here tomorrow! I’ll try that then I’m resetting fitech

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think you should ever run two regulators in one line.
Even if one is acting up, you fix that one instead of adding another.

At least that's my take on the subject.
I believe some have tried two regulators simply to reduce pressure from an EFI pump to run a carburetor, but that's a different subject.

Paul