• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Changing out Side Mirrors

BroncoTX

All

I’m looking at purchasing a 76 bronco with what I call the large “Y” mount side mirrors where it bolts half way down the door. Does anyone have experience converting this type of mirror to the smaller slimline side mirror? I know the holes in the door will have to be patched but will the smaller mirrors screw directly to the upper doors without any modification to the interior of the door panel?

Thanks in advance

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you mean the stock type replacements, then yes they can be mounted in spite of prior mirrors being mounted and there is nothing in the immediate area to interfere.
The factory used nutserts and machine screws, which you can mimic, or just use a properly sized sheet metal screw.

I'm going the opposite way myself because I'm really partial to big mirrors. Love the way the originals look, but prefer the larger viewing area. But I get to drive in a lot of frenetic and constantly changing traffic, so really want to know what's going on everywhere around me.

IMG_2950 (Large).jpg IMG_3900 (Large).jpg

No arguing Ford did a great job designing (or re-purposing) stuff for the Broncos originally.
Should not be a problem bringing it back to stock.

I used plastic plugs to close off the holes from the western ranch mirrors on my pickup when I swapped to this same style of mirror used on the Bronco.
Meant them to be temporary until I could permanently close them off. But that was 30 years ago now and they work great!%)

After all... "It's only temporary. Unless it works!"

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Do you have dimension reference for mounting the OE mirror? I mounted mine wrong apparently because my vent window hits it....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If not I can get you a few key dimensions. I believe that my driver's side mirror was in it's original spot and can get pics and measurements since I have not removed them yet.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Besides, it might get me out there and motivated to work on things if I actually touch the Bronco!%)

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Besides, it might get me out there and motivated to work on things if I actually touch the Bronco!%)

Paul

It is like a public service us motivating you to get out there!

I drilled my holes before I painted the door. I have the 68 doors with the removable frame which of course was off at the time so I never even thought about the vent window. The door had several holes I welded up while doing body work...

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Not for nothing, but I since mine is going to be kind of a frankenstein monster, I bought some brand new FJ Cruiser mirrors that I'm going to put on soon. They are cured and fit the curve of the door almost perfectly. I think there is a thread on here.

-jim

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
They factory mirrors suck and are barely passable. Don't even think about towing anything using them. There have been a lifetime of searches from Bronco owners to use something better. Just because Ford had Fairlane mirrors to use. I really wish they didn't. My home made mirrors mount on split factory door hinges. and there was a write up on this site to use FJ and jeep wrangler mirrors. But to find them your gonna have to dig deep.

If your thinking of using the stock mirrors duct tape them on before you go drilling up your doors. Or at least drive a Bronco with stock mirrors.