• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn Hub internal spring Dana 30 or 44

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
I had a loose wheel bearing on the ch#vy conversion front disc rotors on a Dana 30. Took it apart, cleaned and repacked all parts. I noticed the warn sprocket hub did not have a spring inside of it. Not sure why it is like this but the previous owner must have lost it and did not bother to replace it.

I searched the internet for a replacement and can not find one. Anyone know where to get one?

I have plenty of the original large springs that go behind the sprocket hub like on original dana drum axles. The one I'm missing is the spring inside the warn sliding sprocket assembly that has a screw on the outside to keep it together.

On a side note. This side of the axle the passenger side had a larger original tapered spring in the hub but missing the spring in the warn assembly. The drivers side had a working warn hub with the spring in it but no tapered original spring.

Confusing right? Just to clarify I am not using the tapered spring but do not want to spend 150+ dollars on new hubs because I am missing 1 small spring.

Warn must control there parts supply so you have to buy new.

I may end up measuring the spring and ordering it thru a spring supplier. If I do find one in a catalog I will post it so others know what to order.

Thank you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you removed the original big spring! Definitely not supposed to go back in once the aftermarket unit is installed.

Correct on the spring. It's never supposed to come out, so it's not readily available in the general aftermarket. Or at least it has not been in the past, along with any other individual pieces other than what comes in the "rebuild kits" that Warn offers and many 4wd shops stock.
But if I remember, that does not include any real hard parts, such as gears and springs.

So to my knowledge, the only way you're going to get an individual spring is to contact Warn and hope the person that answers the phone is sympathetic to your plight.
Otherwise, as you suspect it's another purchase.

The somewhat good news is that at least in the past they would sell you a single hub. Unfortunately the cost was about 80% of the cost of a new pair. So you can imagine how many singles they sell.
At one point too, I think they would sell you just the inner assembly you're talking about with the spring and the retaining screw, without the outer knob assembly. But it would not surprise me one bit if that ability has been long gone.

Good luck. Probably worth giving them a call if you don't find someone here with a buggered set, or just a single one remaining after they trashed another.
Maybe put up a Parts Wanted ad in the classifieds here too? If you haven't already that is.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe even add "needed" to your thread's title above if you can edit it. Might just be the ticket to getting the word out.

The factory part numbers are #9790 for the Standard set with the 1/4-turn plastic knobs, and #20990 for the Premium set with the 3/4-turn metal knobs.
Not sure if that really helps or not, but figured I'd throw that out there just in case there was a question.
Not sure if the spring is the same from one to the other, but it would not surprise me if it was.

Paul

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Warn spring

I removed a set of auto lock warn hubs from a 1990 F-150 a few years back and if the springs are the same let me know and I will send it to you for the price of postage.

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
Thanks for the information DirtDonk. I have the 20990 style hubs. I will measure up the spring I have and try to find a replacement from a vendor. It will be good information to have if I can find one. If I find it I will post the spec's up in this thread.

Skytrooper15 thanks for the offer. I will do some research and see if it is the same hub internals. If I find they are the same I will PM you.

Btempy

I have three different hubs, all dana 44. My spare warn premiums were nothing as you described as they used a retaining ring to hold spring in rather then a screw. Not sure if spring inside is all the same either. Did have a one that fit what you said perfectly weither it’s the same or not let me know. It’s very similiar if not a warn standard 1/4 locking hub.

If pictures don’t work shoot me a pm.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think (or assumed;D) that he's referring to the tiny Phillips-head screw that you can see in your second pic. Facing outward, rather than the ring that's on the inside of the inner assembly.

So what you have is the same as what he has. Warn has not changed their design in any major way for over 35 years that I know of.

Paul

Btempy

Yeah, believe it to be what he’s looking for. Only posted pics to compare the two not sure exactly what they are but look to be very similar if not warn standard 1/4 turn lock hubs. To OP, if this is the same it’s yours just pay shipping. Or if you want those premiums they are an older design... same deal. Smaller cap screws and other differnces (small) you’d just have to remove like 3 that broke with left hand bit or extractor but shouldn’t be much trouble and get new screws

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great offer Btempy. Hope starman takes you up on it.

I had always thought that the inner workings were the same for both models and only the outer knob assembly changed. But that was strictly an assumption on my part. Never bothered to take two apart and look.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
Again this site is the best and EB folks are the best.

That is a fantastic offer Btempy. The two hub bodies do look the same for some reason. I thought they would be the same.

Paul is right again. The one with the phillips screw looks to be the right one. I will PM you

Thank you.
-Starman

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
I measured the spring inside the Warn hub body for a Dana 30 or Dana 44. I found a spring from Century springs that would seem to work. Btempy (thank you) is sending me a hub body so I will not be trying this spring. I am posting this up so hopefully it can help some else. Cost for the Century spring is $8.43 (according to website).

My measurements: existing old spring
Closed ends
2.5" Free Length
2.125" O.D.
.75 Rate lbs./in.
4 total coils
.06" Wire Dia.
Material seems to be carbon steel.

Century Spring S-1674:
Closed Ends
2.5" Free Length
2.109" O.D.