• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Frustration! Fuel pressure takes a dive once hot

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had a similar issue with a old school TBI injection system I was running on my jeep. Using the stock tank and pickups were the issue. I built a supplemental mini gas tank out of galvanized pipe. Low pressure pump out of the stock tank to the supplemental tank, then to the high pressure pump to the TBI. Return line from TBI went to the supplemental tank, and overflow went back into the stock tank.

The stock tanks and pickups on the older jeeps and EB's have very similar issues with the pickup not being able to deliver enough fuel pressure to a EFI/TBI system.

If you are running a line straight out of the pump to the high pressure, I'm guessing you have the above issue.

Symptoms were identical. Adding the supplental tank, and additional inline pump (low pressure) solved the issue.

Or, pony up for a new tank with an internal pump. Problem solved..... IT's just money right? lol

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a Bosch inline pump feeding a Holley sniper, so far it's been reliable and pretty quiet. I mounted it on the outside of the driver's side frame rail, up on the side of the body mount tower near the front most rear spring mount. It's isolated with a rubber strip where it sits in the cradle I made and under the clamp.
It's sucking the fuel from a 23 gallon Aero tank so it definitely has to go uphill the lower the level gets in the tank. I have 3/8" efi fuel hose on the feed side and 5/16" on the return. the pump is pulling through a regular old in line fuel filter and pushing through a high pressure oem something or other wix filter.
the only time it has sputtered was when I ran it almost empty. It even primed the first time I turned the key without any issues with only a few gallons in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Mine barely goes uphill when it gets below a half tank. I definitely need a new pump. Something with an fittings would be ideal so I don’t have to change much else.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that's the pump we retrofitted to our 23 gal tank. Works great.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i had the same problem, replaced fuel press reg on side of throttle body. edit: to clarify, by same problem I mean the loss of pressure when at running temp near 200.
amazon

I changed out the fitech pump for this after thinking it was bad. I like it better anyway. Also, you should see how much tube i have to utilize both tanks and have no pick up issues. at least 5 feet mounted to inside of frame. I added another tank switch valve for the return too. Main tank might be 8 feet.
Summit

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Airman, you replaced fitech fuel pressure regular with that Bosch one? Are you saying that your pump was not bad?

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Airman, you replaced fitech fuel pressure regular with that Bosch one? Are you saying that your pump was not bad?

Yes and yes, in fact the one that came with my fitech is that bosch mfg and part number. I experimented in the beginning with the command center and tossed it. It had a regulator as well and was also this same number.

The fuel pump from fitech is cheap and not as well made as the summit. I had a hard time getting the fittings to not leak. Summit works great., no leaks, but one of the fittings is different size.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Airman, where is your pump mounted? Does it suck uphill at all?
technically they all suck uphill. with a pickup at the bottom of the tank this is assisted with weight the fuller the tank is. my fuel pump is mounted on the frame right behind the driver seat. It is for certain mounted lower than the tank selector under the driver seat which I suppose is higher than the top of the tank. My lines come out of the tank and go over the frame as well. I will try to get a couple of pictures up this weekend. I'm happy to talk on the phone if you want, might be better.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
That would be awesome. Yea I’m convinced my fitech was bad right out of the box. Will grab that summit one and give it a try. My issue has continued to get worse, which in my mind means it’s the pump. But good to know about that regulator, that will be the next purchase if the summit pump doesn’t fix it. Thanks man! Will report back!

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
this is the first review listed on summit and why i purchased this pump in the first place. "Bought this pump to replace the lousy one that came with the FITech Fuel Delivery Kit that failed after 60 miles. This pump is quiet for an external and works great."

I ran it for a while on a relay as it says it can draw more than 15Amps (fitech fuel pump control limit) but i never went over 9 amps. I now run it direct from the fitech through a 15A breaker in this rubber boot.

MonsterBIlly

My fitech does the same thing when it gets hot. If i wait a couple min it runs fine until it gets hot again.
I think it just shuts the power down to the pump if it hets too hot. I am running a sherman tank with built in pump.
Also, if my disply is plugged in, it goes blank and shuts off too until it cool down.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That sounds like the computer is overheating. Have you checked fuel pressure or is it just based on dying when hot?

Mikesimp70

My fitech does the same thing when it gets hot. If i wait a couple min it runs fine until it gets hot again.
I think it just shuts the power down to the pump if it hets too hot. I am running a sherman tank with built in pump.
Also, if my disply is plugged in, it goes blank and shuts off too until it cool down.

Sounds electronic. I was really worried about this before installing My Fi tech since all the electronics are in the TB. I haven’t had any issues so far. What is your engine temperature? I wouldn’t think a couple of minutes would make a difference takes a long time for that engine to cool down. Do you open the hood for this couple of minutes

Attac

Contributor
There was a lot of talk about the ecm getting hot on these and some found that putting the phenolic spacer in between the intake and FI unit helped with the heat transfer.

bseager

I run an Edelbrock heat insulator gasket on my FiTech. Haven't had any overheating issues with my unit. Even when it was over 100° here in TX.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-9265
1c5325ed8e2dac42c2256376f9ec46a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like a crutch to a problem. What happens when you add more heat (hot day, big hill, etc.)?

bseager

I have been running FiTech for a year. I haven't had any issues with over heating. I originally bought the insulating gasket to help with vaporlock with the carb I was running. Had more issues with heat running a carb vs FiTech.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
I hope this is just the bad fuel pump and not a hot computer. Otherwise this thing is going back!