• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Purchased BD Fiberglass Body. WAVE GOODBYE TO BUTTSTANK!!!

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
My metal body is all jacked up and is going to take an estimated $10k to have someone fix everything. Some of it is waaaayyyyy beyond my skill level. New metal body is what, between $10-12k?

My rig is going to be a daily driver, no rock crawling or serious off-roading. Some simple playing in the mud sometimes. Going to be living on the gulf coast.

So, fiberglass? Cost vs. metal repair or new body? Benefits? Any thoughts, experience or info in helping my stress level go down and my hopefulness go up?

Thanks as always! - jim

Last edited:

Attac

Contributor
Jim I think the Bronco Designs is about 5k and they are nice. You will have to put grounding points in a few spots
I think waiting time is about 5 -6 months
Chuck

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
If you plan to keep it I would go with a BroncoDesigns tub. If you are considering ever selling or more of a show car definately go with a steel tub.

I am building a daily driver with a BD tub.

Attachments

• 20181006_140440.jpg
    20181006_140440.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 20181006_140455.jpg
    20181006_140455.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 226
OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
If you plan to keep it I would go with a BroncoDesigns tub. If you are considering ever selling or more of a show car definately go with a steel tub.

I am building a daily driver with a BD tub.

Mine is never getting sold. I'll live in it if I ever go homeless. Then it will go to my daughter!

How much prep does the body need before painting? Need much "massaging?"

jim

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Fiberglass body

Mikesimp70, since you do not know anything about BD tubs, you have no room to call them inferior.

I am building a BD tub and am almost complete, I will weigh in on this subject. The BD tub is not a weak foundation and I know the builder and it is reinforced in all of the critical areas. If we were all rich and could drop $13,000 on a new body, we would. However, we all cannot do that. I spent $6,000 on my tub and when it is all said and done I will have spent less than $13,000 to rebuild my truck. Paint is extra and that is a necessary cost that still will keep my build under $22,000.

Just sayin'

SevenT

Last edited:

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
How much prep does the body need before painting? Need much "massaging?"

jim

Overall very nice. There are some minor things to work out like door placement, tailgate and fitting things. Still over all very happy with my decision, glad not to be repairing rust and I can drive it year around.

Mikesimp70

Mikesimp70, since you do not know anything about BD tubs, you have no room to call them inferior.

I am building a BD tub and am almost complete, I will weigh in on this subject. The BD tub is not a weak foundation and I know the builder and it is reinforced in all of the critical areas. If we were all rich and could drop $13,000 on a new body, we would. However, we all cannot do that. I spent $6,000 on my tub and when it is all said and done I will have spent less than $13,000 to rebuild my truck. Paint is extra and that is a necessary cost that still will keep my build under $22,000.

Just sayin'

SevenT

My apologies for touching a nerve. I have 0 experience with fiberglass or BD. I am sure they build a fine product. My only point was that time and money after the body is on the frame will be the same (and substantial) regardless of which you go with.

Hats off to you sir for finishing your truck for $22k. You may never speak with my wife!

KeithKinPhx

A year ago I would have said you were crazy to do fiberglass. Lately I've been watching Matt's Garage on YouTube and the problems he has had with welding up the new metal body have made me say that all new sheet metal is something I would never try.

The beautiful part of Broncos is you can make them how you want. This particularly true if you never plan on selling. Purists be damned. Build it how you like within your budget.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would stop in at Bronco Design on your trip south and them make a decison after the visit for your self. Me i would fix what you got.

centex77

Bronco design here. Great folks to work with and the body is awesome. Only complaint I have is is that you have to get creative on mounting things since there is no metal to weld to. That and all of the dust from cutting holes. Buy yourself a set of magnets to help find the steel inside the body.

1977 Ford Bronco/Fiberglass Body/302 bored .030/balanced/AFR aluminum heads/cam/5spd/Locked w/ 4.10’s/35” BFG/4” suspension/3” body

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
So, I made the decision. I'm going with a fiberglass body (broncodesigns). My reason is that I've owned this bronco since 2006 and have barely driven it because of lack of time and the constant need to keep putting band-aids on the buttstank. After going through it, my whole body is trashed except the firewall, cowl and and windshield frame. It would cost too much to have someone fix. And it would cost me my sanity to take it completely apart and then fight putting it back together. (have you seen Matt's Garage?). I can't afford a new steel body. So this seems the way to go for a 95% street rig. I'm out of time and patience. I know this will still require work, but it will be "building" not "fixing." So I'm waiting to hear back from Corey at BD. CELEBRATE WITH ME!!!!! :D ;D :cool:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Tom's Bronco Parts is going to take back almost all of the unused metal parts I've bought over the last year! (many of them still unboxed). Say hello to new seats and centech harness!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
So, I made the decision. I'm going with a fiberglass body (broncodesigns). My reason is that I've owned this bronco since 2006 and have barely driven it because of lack of time and the constant need to keep putting band-aids on the buttstank. After going through it, my whole body is trashed except the firewall, cowl and and windshield frame. It would cost too much to have someone fix. And it would cost me my sanity to take it completely apart and then fight putting it back together. (have you seen Matt's Garage?). I can't afford a new steel body. So this seems the way to go for a 95% street rig. I'm out of time and patience. I know this will still require work, but it will be "building" not "fixing." So I'm waiting to hear back from Corey at BD. CELEBRATE WITH ME!!!!! :D ;D :cool:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Tom's Bronco Parts is going to take back almost all of the unused metal parts I've bought over the last year! (many of them still unboxed). Say hello to new seats and centech harness!

Good to hear you made the decision, that's the hardest part I'm sure. What metal parts are you sending back and what state are you in?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
go for it and don't look back! I m building my glass tub to use, no look at. I enjoy using my stuff.....I don't get caught up in financials when it comes to my passion. Feel free to ask questions and keep plenty of pics....it helps! rock on brother!

tpatton75

Contributor
Took me a year but it is off to paint I want to drive all year too

Attachments

• 77C04A63-407B-421E-A469-72621BC3DF58.jpg
    77C04A63-407B-421E-A469-72621BC3DF58.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 128
  • C5646C5A-C309-4133-9F22-AE0D29244588.jpg
    C5646C5A-C309-4133-9F22-AE0D29244588.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 115

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I did mine in fiberglass (old Kentrol) back in 1997. Still looks the same today.
The one possible advice I can offer, is maybe consider new metal front fenders. I say that because BOTH of my fiberglass front fenders cracked before I even got to paint stage. So I replaced them with "new" metal ones before I finished it.... and definitely a metal windshield frame. (maybe newer FG fenders are built better now, I don't know)

People often complain about grounding things on FG bodies, but it is really no big deal at all. I have 3 grounding points on my truck. 1 in the engine bay like everyone, and then 1 under the dash for everything to run to and then 1 back at the rear bumper for taillights and such. Too easy.

Bonefizz

Contributor
Loc.
The poor house
I'm trying to decide as well. Bronco Design is the gold standard for fiberglass. I'd have to get it shipped to California, however. $$$ The Terra Comp tub is good quality as well, but it doesn't have the steel subframe that BD has. Fiberglass tubs have come a long way in the last 10 years.

Can't wait to see your progress!

uncletom

Loc.
Mass City
Just making the decision was the hardest part. I've been trying to decide for years!

Here's a thread where I'm selling the body, what's good, and some of the parts that are going with it.

If you don't have another bronco to refer to I would keep the old body. I kept my old body until I was almost done installing everything on the new body. I was constantly measuring where holes were, from wires to the emblems on the fenders. One important item I remember in particular was the bracket for the parking brake cable on the floor. I couldn't buy one in 1984, maybe you can now. I don't know.

Last edited: