• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found a great way to get tree sap off.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Not 100% sure if this is the right section but seems like the right one.
Over the years I've pulled several EBs out of back yards and tree lines. Usually they're covered in tree sap (I live in the south). Here's what I've found to work to get rid of it. Pine sap is relatively easy, isopropyl alchohol and patience. Pecan and hackberry are the hard ones, especially if there are several years of deposits baked on. Soap and water wont touch it, Ive tried all the commercially available products, goo gone, goof off, bug and tar remover, etc. with little success....but. I started experimenting with things I had on hand and found that window cleaner (specifically Macs from NAPA) works like a champ requiring the least amount of effort. Though I'd pass this along.
Greg

Dirtroadjunkie

I'm not sure if it will work with your types of trees, but believe it or not peanut butter takes Doug Fir sap right off. At least the fresh sap if you're building with it. Also if you're working with redwood the acid will turn your hands a little black sometimes. Lemon juice works for that. Old school carpenter tricks!

Dlish

Good thread.

I have used alcohol based hand sanitizer in the past with success too. The Purell stuff.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Another thing I use is Spitfire RTU. Just have to be careful and test on a hard to see spot. I believe that the macs has ammonia but...regular windex with ammonia doesn't work.
Greg

STalon89

isopropyl alcohol 90%. I use it daily at work on vehicles. Safe on the paint

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Coconut oil will take pine needle sap off like magic. Smells good too. I assume it would work for others.

77BRONKOTN

I use my wife's garment steamer to remove sap.

Also, steam will remove window tint like no tomorrow.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I have used both diesel fuel and WD-40 to remove sap plus road tar. Just have to remember to wash well afterwards as either and/or both can soften certain paints.
Randy