• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Dana 20 from NP435 Question

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Does the NP435 require any special configuration (In a certain gear) before you pull the transfer case and intermediate housing off? I know the stock tranny does so the bearings don't fall out. Wasn't sure about the NP435.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
The only bearings that fall out with either tranny are the rollers in the transfer case, and that's only when you remove the intermediate from the transfer. If you can do that vertically they may stay in place.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
On my NP435, the output shaft and rear bearing started to slide out when I removed the intermediate housing. Not exactly sure what the implications of that are, but I was able to catch it before it came out about 1", pushed it back in and had no problems. Just be aware...

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
On my NP435, the output shaft and rear bearing started to slide out when I removed the intermediate housing. Not exactly sure what the implications of that are, but I was able to catch it before it came out about 1", pushed it back in and had no problems. Just be aware...

That's what I was afraid of. I'll keep that in mind. Was hoping maybe there was a process that would prevent it from sliding out. Need to diagnose this knocking sound and BAX thinks it might be too long of bolts in the adapter. We'll know soon enough.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would assume for the moment that it does require locking in gear to keep the output shaft from sliding out far enough to dislodge the roller bearings between the input and output shafts. Until further notice at least.
I've never read anything specific about the 435 or other 4-speeds of the day, but maybe we can find some reference to it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe I misspoke. The Hayne's book says nothing about being careful with the shaft.
Then again, it doesn't even mention the 3-speed and the need to lock it in gear. So I'd still recommend care.

Paul

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Chief master Sergeant has the 1'' thick aluminum plate adapter type. That plate acts as a bearing retainer. The tailshaft can not come out if the adapter is left on. All 4 of the bolts can be checked one by one leaving the adapter in place.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Well, dropped the transfer case and intermediate housing as one unit. Pulled bolts one at a time and they’re all perfect. One bolt attaches to the adapter from inside the tranny. So, out it came too. Pulled the cover and it looks perfect. Decided to pull the bell housing to check the flywheel and clutch. Something looked off about the clutch fork. The clip that attaches to the pivot was broken off. The piece is not present. Read up on this and it doesn’t sound common. Could that have been causing the knock I’ve been experiencing? Throw out bearing isn’t too beat up, but I’m going to replace it anyway. Might have someone go through the NP 435 while I have it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk