• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering box options

jagbucket

Just talked to redhead rebuilder in seattle and i have the choice of original 6 turn $400 or for $200 more to change to the 4 turn . They use new roller balls as part of the rebuild to get close to new . with only occasional off road planned im not sure of which way to go or if i should go for a nissan type box as a cheaper way to go but still a used box.. The question is how has the fast ratio performed for overall use on and off road. thanks for your help

Dlish

I just switched from 6 turn to 4 turn, and love it. Drive a mix of street and offroad, and the 4 turn makes both more enjoyable.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
4 turn if you are on the road a bunch. I have 4 and just worked on a 6. It's a LOT of turning!

OP
OP
J

jagbucket

thanks for the fast replys I was expecting at least one vote for the six turns leverage off road but this will in fact spend most of its time on the street so why fight it , i will have to ask how the conversion is accomplished new parts or what . Redhead mentioned that new trucks have a three turn box with the four turn for heavy duty.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
4 turn all day long...especially with aired down 35x14.50x15 boggers with bead locks in the rocks...and Saginaw pump is the way to go to IMO.

Jolly Roger

Call Josh at AGR Performance in Texas. They rebuild the steering boxes for the Velocity restorations broncos. Here's his number 817-626-9006 Highly recommend!

$295.00 to rebuild your box the charges below are optional
optional $100.00 to change ratio
optional $100.00 to modern valving, 204 torsion bar
optional $100.00 replace sector shaft if needed

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I personally would go to the 4 turn box only if I keep the larger stock steering wheel. The faster than stock ratio will let you know if your alignment settings are out of spec.

OP
OP
J

jagbucket

I just dropped the box off at redhead for the 4 turn conversion. at this point another 600 in the bottomless pit aka bronco will hardly make a ripple.

Bogar

Jag - What size of tires do you have and steering wheel size. I’m thinking about going to 4 turn and interested in your configuration. Thanks

OP
OP
J

jagbucket

right now its 265 70 17 stock dodge steel wheels with original steering wheel. its back to uncut so i cannot go much larger on wheel unless i use spacers on the front with 2.5 suspension 1 body . i do not know yet how it will work, looks like the box will be delayed due to pitting on one of the shafts typical i guess.

Last edited: