• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Swap Throttle Body

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
Has anyone replaced or upgraded the stock Explorer throttle body? What size or model? Also from what I've seen the throttle body needs to be rotated 90 degrees for hood clearance for the idle control valve? Any information on this component of the swap would be great. What has been adapted for lineage now on the bottom etc. Thanks

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I'm running the stock Explorer piece on my warmed over 351W and have no complaints. I've got a hood bubble so clearance wasn't a factor in the clocking position...

What displacement are you running Griz?

BroncoChicken

The ‘96 throttle body has more clearance when you rotate it 90* if that’s an issue.

OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
I'm running the Explorer 302 with aluminum heads @ around 300+ horse power. So I'm not dealing with the extra 351 height but thought there might be a little something to gain from a different throttle body. And on the stock 99 Explorer set up the the idle control valve is on top and sticks up above the upper manifold. So the 90 degree rotation puts the IAC on the side , position sensor on the top and throttle linkage on the bottom.

BroncoChicken

Pretty sure the stock throttle body can handle almost 400 hp without issue. That’s all correct about the placement of the components. The extra clearance come from a shorter wiring harness connector. It gets you 1/2”-3/4”.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
A bigger throttle body would be a waste of money on a 5.0. If you do go bigger, I'd only go up to a 70. Throttle response will become more like a binary switch than linear. Even with the 65, I'd recommend the "Viperwolfe Progressive throttle mod".

The best method for clearance is to remove the elbow, bolt the TB directly to the intake. TPS on top, IAC towards the front, linkage on the bottom.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like what I did 15 years ago. Explorer stuff on a stroker 302. Threw a whole lot of trick stuff at it. One was a larger throttle body. Off idle was horrible, like EFIGuy said, binary. Idle or making power, impossible to cruise. Went back to the stock Explorer throttle body and got my drivaility back and didn't loose power.

A guy I work with did a huge supercharger on a late model coyote F150. He CANNOT drive 30-35 MPH. He did the massive throttle body and there is no throttle control at the lower power levels.

OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
Sounds like the Explorer 65 will do everything I need. I couldn't find the BC Broncos bracket discussed in the Viperwolf1 progressive mod. I will search his earlier posts but just in case does anyone have any info on this bracket or mod?
Thanks for all the help!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Or you can rotate it 180*

Attachments

• DSCN4003.jpg
    DSCN4003.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCN4002.jpg
    DSCN4002.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN4048.jpg
    DSCN4048.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN4050.jpg
    DSCN4050.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN4049.jpg
    DSCN4049.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
Hey 904Bronco, have you had your hood on? Is there any clearance issues with your setup? Do you have a stock hood and any body lift? I was planning on using the 90 to point the throttle body forward.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure he'll fill in the details when he can, but the hood has been on the Grabber Green one for awhile now, and he's working on another.
He's done at least three now with the full Explorer setup and usually uses the 1" body lift and has to fiddle with the support bracket and inlet tube (between the MAF meter and TB) for maximum hood clearance.
But the main components like upper intake and throttle body fit.

Looks like the cross-brace and associated brackets might be slightly different from the Blue '68 (in my signature line) he did before that. But basically the same layout with no hood issues.

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hey 904Bronco, have you had your hood on? Is there any clearance issues with your setup? Do you have a stock hood and any body lift? I was planning on using the 90 to point the throttle body forward.

1 inch body lift...
On DirtDonk's rig that I did, no clearance issues.
On my 71, pictured, the Bracket did need some trimming as there was minor hood contact.

OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
Ok, two more clearance questions. Without the 90 and the throttle body directly on the upper manifold and rotated a quarter turn the throttle position sensor is now the highest point on the motor. It's about 3/4" above the upper manifold. With a 1" body lift this should be no problem correct?
And I see the height of the coil packs on 904Bronco's motor. How much clearance does that give? I haven't welded mine yet but I'm at about that height but without the angle forward. I could still angle mine down in the front if necessary. Thanks

OP
OP
J

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
I see now from the side view 904Bronco's coil packs are not angled down in the front so I guess I will be fine like that. From the front view they appeared to be lower in the front.

BroncoChicken

I’m not sure how much of an issue the TPS will be without a body lift. Like I mentioned, if it is an issue, you can use a ‘96 throttle body and gain about 3/4”. You will have to modify the coil pack bracket and lower the power steering reservoir. You can use coil packs from a dodge neon, which use regular plug wires and have the plugs coming off the front and back instead of the top. The plugs for the wiring harness would have to be swapped out. Details on lowering the PS res can be found in this article: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158868

jagbucket

ford has several different orientations for the iac connector i found one that had a straight connection from the local pickapart if that is a problem for u

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I see now from the side view 904Bronco's coil packs are not angled down in the front so I guess I will be fine like that. From the front view they appeared to be lower in the front.

The bracket has been cut down with more than an inch taken out..

Biggest concern is spark plug boots contacting the hood support brace towards the rad. Angling down some would help... You are really staying up in the back to clear the injector/fuel rail.

Attachments

• DSCN1923.jpg
    DSCN1923.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN1918.jpg
    DSCN1918.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 55