• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch rod

rockinrich

Contributor
Hey guys,just got done with wh 1" body lift and hooked back up everything but a bit confused on the clutch rod,now the vertical rod under the pedal is a clutch rod correct? Also there is a horizontal rod with threads and two nuts is that called a clutch rod as well or adjustment rod? I struggled a bit trying to hook the vertical rod back up and then put the cotter pin in but i got it does that struggle mean i need to get a different length vertical rod and is that vertical rod the only adjusting i need to do or do you also need to adjust the horizontal rod as well? Thanks for any help! rich

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Longer verticals rod. Wh has a nice set up or you can make one with heims.

Hey thanks bud,now what about that horizontal rod with threads do i not even need to touch that?Is that rod just for adjusting the pedal?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the rod through the floor is to short. You got that figured out. It is a simple welding job to make it a little longer, or as mentioned, buy one.
The rod from the Z bar to the fork on the bell housing has not changed. This rod is for the clutch adjustment.
Going longer will raise the clutch pedal. Shortening will make the clutch engage closer to the floor.
Good luck

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Hi, the rod through the floor is to short. You got that figured out. It is a simple welding job to make it a little longer, or as mentioned, buy one.
The rod from the Z bar to the fork on the bell housing has not changed. This rod is for the clutch adjustment.
Going longer will raise the clutch pedal. Shortening will make the clutch engage closer to the floor.
Good luck

Good morning,and thank you for the help,as i don't trust my welding yet lol, i'll get one from wh got great reviews on it,thanks again!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks rockinrich. A nice bonus of our clutch pedal rod is that it's also much beefier than stock. So you get the length, the adjustability for fine-tuning things (if needed) and it should last the life of the vehicle after that (theoretically!).

The stock rods were smaller diameter than those on the full-size trucks, but with the same clutch basically. They're exactly what I would call a "common" failure item, but they do break from time to time. Usually at the 90° bend, and usually the upper one at the pedal.
This could be due to the bushing having worn and the rod itself taking the brunt of the wear after that, but it's hard to say for sure.

Anyway, you should not have to worry about it now.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm. And speaking of bushings...
If you just ordered it (or are going to soon) it might not be a bad idea to add the #8145 Bushings to the rod order.
It's not necessary if yours are still in good shape of course, but nowadays there's a better chance of there being wear on them. Or of being completely shot.
Since yours is apart though, you have the perfect opportunity to inspect them.

I just noticed too that the #8145 Rod Bushings are not listed in the "Suggested Parts" for the #1942 Rod. Sorry about that. That'll change today.
I'm thinking that in the old days it was not as often necessary to add new bushings, so was left up to the user to decide. But now after close to 50 years on them, they're a LOT more likely to be worn out. So I'm thinking it's a good idea to add that thought to the website.

And though I hate looking like I'm pushing a sale of more parts, I'd rather save a little frustration of having to do a job twice. Or waiting longer for more parts to arrive.
Especially when the $4 part costs $12 to ship!
So just sayin....;D
(he says, in his best slimey-salesmans's voice...%);) )

Paul

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Thanks rockinrich. A nice bonus of our clutch pedal rod is that it's also much beefier than stock. So you get the length, the adjustability for fine-tuning things (if needed) and it should last the life of the vehicle after that (theoretically!).

The stock rods were smaller diameter than those on the full-size trucks, but with the same clutch basically. They're exactly what I would call a "common" failure item, but they do break from time to time. Usually at the 90° bend, and usually the upper one at the pedal.
This could be due to the bushing having worn and the rod itself taking the brunt of the wear after that, but it's hard to say for sure.

Anyway, you should not have to worry about it now.

Paul

Good morning paul,thank you so much for always giving such a detailed answer no matter what the subject, i appreciate it!I am making a list of what other shiny new parts i need to order as well and i'm sure i'll have a question or two about the new clutch rod,it does look stout! Thanks,rich.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! Save a bit of shipping then putting a few things together.
In case you didn't see it while you were typing I just mentioned the rod bushings #8145 as well.

I also just let Matt know about it too so he can keep an eye open for your order (if doing it online) and let you know about the bushings if you didn't already.

Have fun.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Hmm. And speaking of bushings...
If you just ordered it (or are going to soon) it might not be a bad idea to add the #8145 Bushings to the rod order.
It's not necessary if yours are still in good shape of course, but nowadays there's a better chance of there being wear on them. Or of being completely shot.
Since yours is apart though, you have the perfect opportunity to inspect them.

I just noticed too that the #8145 Rod Bushings are not listed in the "Suggested Parts" for the #1942 Rod. Sorry about that. That'll change today.
I'm thinking that in the old days it was not as often necessary to add new bushings, so was left up to the user to decide. But now after close to 50 years on them, they're a LOT more likely to be worn out. So I'm thinking it's a good idea to add that thought to the website.

And though I hate looking like I'm pushing a sale of more parts, I'd rather save a little frustration of having to do a job twice. Or waiting longer for more parts to arrive.
Especially when the $4 part costs $12 to ship!
So just sayin....;D
(he says, in his best slimey-salesmans's voice...%);) )

Paul
Lol,i just saw this other post paul,it says new clutch rod bushings are included are those what you're referring to?Thanks for the help! rich

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Yeah, that's correct. I forgot they came with the rod kit. Ugh...

No problem then.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, everybody needs an extra set of clutch rod bushings! Right?%)
One specially formulated for winter, one for summer. It's a snow thing...;D

Paul