• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for advice - On Fence About Beginning 1st Bronco Restoration Project

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Hey, welcome to the site! I'm located in Kzoo but pass through GR every other week to work up north on my bronco stuff in Pentwater at my dads place. Your budget will be tight but not impossible. I just picked up a good project truck. Its a 76 302, PS, C4 auto. It doesn't run at the moment as I havnt had time to mess with it. It will need body work for sure but to hit your budget I would get a glass body from bronco designs. Corey hit's up the takeover every summer and you might be able to work out a logistics of him bringing up the tub in August. Here from now you could work on the basic mechanics of taking care of new bushings, bearings, fluid changes, going over the fuel system etc that way you'll have a solid mechanical foundation for the tub! Give me a call if your interested 616-617-7984

Ryan

Attac

Contributor
Just go get pops and be in the cool crowd;)
Chuck.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Just go get pops and be in the cool crowd;)
Chuck.

Lol, chuck I know you want me to keep this 76 but I don't have room! I will agree though that pops bronco is a good option! you'll def be on the road quicker with his.

OP
OP
C

Cmbeams

Thanks Pops. I actually have family in West Central Ohio so at some point I'll be driving through your area in the not-so-distant future and I'd love to take a look in person. I've seen your Bronco and actually referenced it in a response above, as I wasn't understanding why your rig hadn't sold yet at the price you were offering it at. Perhaps, you are too honest LOL. I'll definitely keep this offer in mind. Thanks again. Also, if you do have the time, could you list what is potentially an issue with your Bronco? Thanks.

OP
OP
C

Cmbeams

Sound advice, Rhino, thanks. My last Blazer I never painted for the same reason. Felt it was a little of a theft deterrent as well (secret kill switch allayed the rest of my concerns). Ran like a top and crawled well, too.... granny gear helped out there, too. Thanks again. Oh, just one last thing.... in your opinion, how much would it cost to get a roller going, ie, to have a basic rebuilt engine tranny and transfer case put in?

OP
OP
C

Cmbeams

Jaxlax, good idea on uhaul. Have a 2014 Explorer with tow package, so that should work. Any thoughts on those two wheeled trailers you put the front two tires on only? Imagine it's cheaper, but maybe hard on the rear axle of the tow vehicle?

Bradsp8

Find a running Bronco nearby with a solid frame but with the body all rusted out. The more rust the better as you can use that as bargaining chip and try to get it for $10k. Then go get a Bronco Design fiberglass tub for another $10k. You're now in it $20 and have a body that won't rust in your neck of the woods. You can spray paint it or put a wrap on it and it will look decent until you have the funds to put a nicer paint job on it.

OP
OP
C

Cmbeams

Mark, good idea on savings plan. Will research fiberglass. I just love 4 wheeling in snow.

OP
OP
C

Cmbeams

Half cab - maybe best advice yet. Dealt with some scammers already with a few too good to be true deals. Just send payment and we'll ship it out asap! Ha!

OP
OP
C

Cmbeams

Ryan - thx for the advice and offer. Will take you up on it if I can. Take care.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
no problem and if you ever want to stop in and see the broncos/checkout the shop let me know.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
POTENTIAL ISSUES:

*Front floor pans are rusted....PO added metal over top - I have new reacements
*wiring in engine compartment is 'ugly', but everything works as far as I know
*headlights quit recently, but work again - I have brand new replacements
*wanders a bit down the road, much better than when I bought it
*never driven more than a 30 mile one way trip, so don't know how it would do
on a several hundred mile journey
*never had it much over 55 mph (I am an OLD FART), but a potential buyer drove it faster and it felt
fine from the passenger seat
*minimal surface rust on frame, rear quarter panel seams have rust
*not the purdiest paint job
*dash pad has cracks
*high beam indicator doesn't work
*gauge cluster back light takes a few clicks of the rocker switch to turn on
*needs new carpet
NOTHING IS PERFECT!!! IT RUNS AND DRIVES, WHICH IS WHAT I WANTED AND HAVE TINKERED WITH FOR THE PAST 8 YEARS. DOESN'T LOOK BAD EITHER.

Attac

Contributor
Lol, chuck I know you want me to keep this 76 but I don't have room! I will agree though that pops bronco is a good option! you'll def be on the road quicker with his.

I have plenty of room. Just sayin;)