• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sealing cab against exhaust

bryan

Loc.
Charlotte
Just installed new ceramic headers to correct a leaky manifold under hood on drivers side- very pleased w the upgrade but still a smelly ride- got a few holes in the firewall which need plugging up- thinking of some sort of spray foam- anyone have any suggestions? Thx in advance

PS already replaced all the rod gaskets for pedals in floorboard- biggest gaps are steeering column and speedo cable- I have replacement column gasket but I’m honestly kinda scare to pull the steering wheel etc to try and get it in place

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Most bad exhaust comes from running exhaust system straight out the back of the Bronco. 2nd up turn down exhaust under the truck.

OP
OP
B

bryan

Loc.
Charlotte
Most bad exhaust comes from running exhaust system straight out the back of the Bronco. 2nd up turn down exhaust under the truck.

As it is r n it comes out an inch or two past the fender, behind the rear passenger tire- I’m pretty sure it’s the same as stock- i have a soft top- I’ve replaced the lower tailgate to bed seal but not the tailgate to bed side seals- think that’s it?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Out. The corner is good. Just like stock. Tail gate and lift gate seals are important as are any cab seals. Rear of truck going down the road is a suction point.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can use many things. This is similar to what the factory used originally: WH Speedo Cable Firewall Seal
There is a matching one for the heater TEMP control cable, as well as a manual choke cable on some early models so equipped.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Under my dash I had several hole of varying sizes. So FOUND some rubber plugs & put them in the holes that I could find the correct size . Then I found box or assortment of chrome plugs so I filled them. & ONE I took a no. 16 bean can lid & put several small screws in it.Then I COVERED BOTH SIDE WITH Spray Undercoating .. & I Sprayed undercoating on every thing under my seats . PUT in carpet & Insulation . & Mine was exhaust free & Dust free..
My door seals are now gone for the most part. & I'm beganing to see dust at time in the pasture.
.... Oh & I even took my door panels off & Sprayed the insides of the doors with under coating . 3M brand mostly .

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If the engine isn't running right, you can do whatever you want with the exhaust tips/sealing, and your clothes will still stink.
Best to start with the problem first. Maybe you just need a good tune-up.
How about some details on what you're running?

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
If the engine isn't running right, you can do whatever you want with the exhaust tips/sealing, and your clothes will still stink.

Agreed. I mean the whole world didn't smell like gas in the 70s, with millions of 50s to 70s cars on the road, and yet now? Its because nobody tunes them right (me too...had mine done a few months ago by a pro instead of my shadetree dumbassery and HUGE difference is exhaust smell)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Agreed. I mean the whole world didn't smell like gas in the 70s, with millions of 50s to 70s cars on the road, and yet now? Its because nobody tunes them right (me too...had mine done a few months ago by a pro instead of my shadetree dumbassery and HUGE difference is exhaust smell)

But how many modern professional 'technicians' actually know how to work on anything that does not have a computer socket they can plug into that will tell them which parts to replace?

Not saying a professional is a bad idea, but good luck finding one that understands carburetors, they are getting about as rare as alignment shops that know a Bronco can be adjusted.

Last edited:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Not saying a professional is a bad idea, but good luck finding one that understands carburetors, they are getting about as rare as alignment shops that know a Bronco can be adjusted.

the shop downtown, that started out working on Model T's, told me if I had 7 degree C-bushings "don't bother bringing it in, you'll never get the caster right"

rockinrich

Contributor
.. Under my dash I had several hole of varying sizes. So FOUND some rubber plugs & put them in the holes that I could find the correct size . Then I found box or assortment of chrome plugs so I filled them. & ONE I took a no. 16 bean can lid & put several small screws in it.Then I COVERED BOTH SIDE WITH Spray Undercoating .. & I Sprayed undercoating on every thing under my seats . PUT in carpet & Insulation . & Mine was exhaust free & Dust free..
My door seals are now gone for the most part. & I'm beganing to see dust at time in the pasture.
.... Oh & I even took my door panels off & Sprayed the insides of the doors with under coating . 3M brand mostly .

may i ask what 3m product you used to spray your bronco with and what kind of sprayer would one need for that?Thank you very much!

OP
OP
B

bryan

Loc.
Charlotte

Yessir I agree w you and def realize that that’s part of the problem- oddly enough I’m taking my daily driver to a shop tomorrow which specials in older vehicles- they said tuning up my Bronco will be no prob at all- gonna speak w them more about it tomorrow