• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 Link Suspension + Lift Advice

Matthew3c

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
I am ready to re-do the suspension on my '72. I already have a 2" body lift, which I plan to keep and I want to add 3" or so. I am looking for advice on best kits, shocks, etc. I have considered the Duff System T that includes the 4 Link, which I definitely want. But, I'd like to find similar options from other companies for comparison - perhaps even higher end - to include coil over shocks with reservoirs, full 9" truss, etc... I see some nice, high-end Broncos with top notch suspensions, but they must be custom built...?
Any suggestions?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While waiting for answers from those experienced in that stuff, have you also had the time to read through some of the existing build threads showing custom 4-link setups?

Here's a nice long one still active from Nevrstuk:
classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278607

Probably plenty of others that are older that might be worth checking out. Sorry I don't have more links. This one was more fresh in my mind.
Even though it's custom and not a kit necessarily, it might still give you some insight into the good moves, the frustrations, and the joys of making it happen.

Good luck.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I think Duff's has the only "bolt in" 4 link.

You are asking for some very specific upgrades and its hard to recommend something to someone w/o some idea of their fabrication and skill level.

Are you comfortable welding in suspension brackets that if the weld breaks you would have catastrophic failure...

Tell us more about if you'd be doing the work or someone else would be hired to do it...

I can tell ya this...just a 4 link isn't huge...but read a few builds and ask guys how long it took, how much design time went into it, etc...

Welcome aboard, do a TON of research as all modifications change the way your Bronco handles, etc...

Good luck, have fun building YOUR Broncobyour way!!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
As mensioned above it depends on a lot of variables. The Duff kit is hard to beat for an out of the box conversion. I do a lot of conversions and it’s very time consuming and expensive to do properly.

Also read
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199794
This is another very comprehensive build. We will help coach the whole way but be fully aware of what this can-o-worms entales.

pbwcr

4 link or 3 link?
IMO, because of the narrow frame rails it should be obvious that a 3 link will give better articulation. The amount of welding for a 3 is about the same as a 4, but the rod end at the diff has to be at least twice as big on the 3 as one of the ones on the 4 link. It is all about the angles on the links. The only disadvantage of a 3 vs 4 is the inability to tell others you have a 4 link.

Having said all that the spring towers for the coil overs presents a significant challenge. But that comment apples to any linked setup, its just more difficult on an EB. Back seat will be very compromised.

My 72 is a 3 and it works fine as did my 96 which had a 4 link.

My last comment is leaf springs suck - dump them.
PaulW

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I went into my 4 link/3 link build without knowing much. With the help from Yeller and a few others I got it done and I can say it was worth the time it took to ask questions and design it around my needs. I am willing to answer any questions you may have about my setup. I did a lot of what you are after...full 9" truss, ORI struts

As mensioned above it depends on a lot of variables. The Duff kit is hard to beat for an out of the box conversion. I do a lot of conversions and it’s very time consuming and expensive to do properly.

Also read
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199794
This is another very comprehensive build. We will help coach the whole way but be fully aware of what this can-o-worms entales.

Thanks Steve! I know I didn't reinvent the wheel with my build, but it sure is nice now that it is done. You were a huge help through the process.