• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco shocks on a Jeep?

Dandesjar

Hey guys, does anyone out there happen to know if a set of a Bronco shocks will mount up and work properly on a Jeep Wrangler (1992ish)?

I have an extra set of brand new shocks that a buddy of mine might be interested in for his Jeep if it will work...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Shocks need to have the correct mounting system at both ends and the correct extended/collapsed length to work on a particular application.

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Thanks, I’m aware of that. That’s why I’m asking and not just bolting them on.

The shocks are BDS and their website doesn’t seem to list any application for an early Bronco that I can compare them to. But the Rancho website seems to list the same part # for their Jeep shocks & their Bronco shocks so it got me wondering. I just thought I’d ask here if anyone had any first hand info before I called BDS tech support.

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
You need to look up the specs with the part number from your shocks to make sure the collapsed and extended lengths are what you need on the Jeep. For example I need about a 15" collapsed and about a 28" extended for my Bronco to flex right and not Break anything with my 3.5" long arm Duff lift..... You need to Flex out your Jeep and measure what you need.... None of us wil know what your jeep needs because we don't have it to measure bro

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

OK, thanks anyway. It’s not my jeep so I don’t have exact specs myself either. I just figured I’d ask on here first in case anyone else has tried it already been through the hassle of spec’ing it all out. Guess I’ll just call BDS directly and get their input.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
We put in the front of an 88 jeep wrangler a pair of james duff rear 3.5 inch long travel shocks. We also added a set of full size jeep cherokee springs and narrow track dana 44. We used a F-250 front shock mount.

Everything lifted the jeep 2-3 inches while keeping the spring under set-up.

He took his jeep to uwharrie national forrest and it worked well and he was happy with the results

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they all said is true. But generally speaking too, the rear shock on a stock height Early Bronco will be very close to the correct size in the same position on the rear of a stock height '92 Wrangler.
That's just based, as you already noted, that Rancho does use literally the same part number shock in each of those two applications. So your assumption is correct.
Is it the best for both vehicles? Maybe, maybe not. The valving should be pretty close, both being "utility" vehicles and maybe even near the same weight.
Might not be perfect, but should get you there.

The front shocks are another thing entirely. The Bronco shocks would be way too short for a Wrangler (3" compressed, 7" extended), even though they do have similar mounting strategies.
Not even worth a try unless the Jeep is stock and the Bronco lifted.

BDS does not make their own shocks I don't think (most companies don't) so depending on who they use they may actually be the same shocks, or might be slightly different. If you compare an RS5113's dimensions to your shocks, you should have your answer. They're probably within 1/4" or so, which is acceptable.
Monroe (Rancho) got away from private labeling shocks many years ago, so not likely the same company makes them. But I've been out of touch a long time so don't know if they started doing it again or not.
BDS shared a building with Trailmaster many moons ago so may still be using the same brand shock. Different from Rancho, but most would have similar dimensions by necessity anyway.

Good luck.

Paul