• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

upgrading DANA 44 ring and pinion gear with a Heep JK rear r&p

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
anybody read the nuts and bolts article in the December issue of petersons 4wheel?

I didnt know our dana 44 runs on the coast side of the gear???

And we can use a JK gear set to fix this weakness?? Larger ring gear? larger pinion?

Maybe i been working on the road too much and lost touch over the past few years but im confused now after reading that "high vs. low" article. Please guide me bronco masters! I

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
http://www.nitro-gear.com/D44-538BP-T-NG-p/d44-538bp-t-ng.htm

this isnt a reverse cut gearset but interesting......i dont see why this kit isnt a reverse cut gearset if thats the what is strongest.

The reverse cut gears require what is usually called a 'high pinion' housing to work.

The JK gears are still larger and stronger than other standard rotation Dana 44 gears.

JK gear conversion also supplied by:

http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_k4

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
so a kit is needed to fit the JK's larger pinion

the JK gearset is larger diameter and thicker so you need the lower gearset carrier and grind a touch out of the case

but what about using the reverse cut JK gearsets to fix the fact that our dana 44 run on the coast side?? Why would you need a high pinion for them to work??? If you install a JK gearset it would make our low pinion dana 44 drive on the drive side of the gear making it even stronger.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Only the front JK gears are reverse cut, the rears are standard cut and they are the larger gears.

The gears are called reverse cut because the curve to the teeth is in the other direction, that is why they need a different housing to mate up.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i ask all this after reading that article. I just dumped a few grand into parts to build a bare housing 44. It seems foolish not to get this larger JK gearset expecially since im going with 5.38 gears. Just sucks to ship back this gearset for the second time and also this ARB because i need the lower number one. whats 400 bucks more when i already got $2500 into parts already.

Or just build it with what i got and if i ever chew up a ring and pinion gear i can think about the JK upgrade. As long as the ARB doesnt get destroyed im not out much money....just a few days labor

the pinion size seems to be huge but the ring gear diameter only goes from 8.5" to 8.875"......does that mean alot more gear tooth contact or not?

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
According to Carl Jantz it is about a 44% increase in strength.

Why not sell that ARB now, before it is used or maybe damaged?
Diffs for the higher number gears are often harder to find and more expensive so you should be able to get your money back.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya its like having a dana 50 ring gear and a dana 60 pinion gear as far as strenth.

i just called my parts vendor and they will let me send the ARB back and will trade me for the RD117 since they stock both parts. Ill call the other vender and return my USA standard gears set as well.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
are there any threads on here with any feedback about using the JK gears?? How long has this been on the market? any other links or info would be nice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First I've even heard about it. Going to read all the info in the links you guys posted to see what it's all about.

And bkn, in case they didn't mention it in the stuff you read, the reason our 44 gears ride on the coast side is because these are "rear" axles that have been flipped around to run as a front axle. So they're being powered in what is effectively the reverse direction to go forward.
This puts the power to the coast side and vice versa.

Hence the design first used in front Dana diffs in Fords (as far as I know) making "reverse rotation" sets with the pinion up high to get the gears back to running on the drive-side for more strength.

A given ring and pinion is weaker when run in reverse than it is when run in it's original configuration (as a rear axle) so the reverse gears serve to bring most, if not all of that original build strength back.
Same problem with running a high-pinion front diff in the rear of a vehicle. It is now running on it's coast side which makes it a weaker setup to get that added ground clearance.
Not sure of all the percentages, but it's not insubstantial.

Can't wait to read how to use stronger gears in an older housing.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It has been mentioned here a few times but little detail given, don't know if anyone here has done it.
Mostly what I have seen about it was on Pirate, there has also been a magazine write-up or two..

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya i thought i knew everything bronco related till i heard about this. I still havent sent the ARB and gears back but im 99% sure i will, and then get the right parts for this JK swap. It seems basically your using that huge pinion gear and them company's are supplying bearings that mate that pinion to my case. and shims as well. The ring sounds like it fits with very little mod work to the case.

Im off in another state for work again but i did bring them parts with so i can ship them from where im at. Maybe i can get this axle built when i get back and share some info.

Years ago i was sold on the idea of shaving my axles for some extra clearance.....but it makes more sense to leave the case and cover alone and instead cram the largest ring gear in there i can.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You could still gain some clearance without cutting all the way through and adding plate.
This lip and maybe the pad above it could be removed:

Attachments

• lip and pad.jpg
    lip and pad.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 24

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Like Paul said you lose a substantial amount of strength running on the coast side of the gears. I must have talked to a 1/2 dozen reputable gear manufacturers and suppliers and they all talked me out of running on the coast side of a D60 in the rear on a Hipinion

This gear set swap sounds really interesting. Would make the weak point of a D44 the ball joint area I would guesss. Had 2 buddies break the ball joints off this year...
Keep us posted.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've had more kingpin issues than ball joint issues in my life. And I have owned a lot more ball joints.

A broken gearset on the trail is an annoyance, but with a strap and bypasses you can generally get out and home again without much drama. Having wheels fall off makes it much harder to get anywhere. You are pretty much stopped in that spot until you get parts and fix it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Beef up the knuckles...

I'm hoping this reduces breakage...thought it was well worth the time invested.

Broncobowsher is right ...inconvenient compared to an all day fix on the trail-if your lucky!

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 105