• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel selector valve

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
When selecting the desired tank with the valve below drivers feet, which way does the lever point to select? I know which tank is which but can't remember if it's the long "flag" end that points in the respective direction or the short "point" end? Hope that makes sense, I'm wanting to run the fuel out of the aux tank so I can address a leak.... thanks in advance

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The pointer points to the tank in use.

It’s easy to tell without looking if you remember this: the LEVER on the valve should always be oriented in the same direction as the gauge lever on the dash.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
They can be "plumbed" / connected either way by Previous Owners so it's safest to look at how they're hooked up first.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The pointer points to the tank in use.

It’s easy to tell without looking if you remember this: the LEVER on the valve should always be oriented in the same direction as the gauge lever on the dash.

You can connect the hoses anyway you want.
The pointer points to the hose of the tank in use.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You can connect the hoses anyway you want.

The pointer points to the hose of the tank in use.

Yup, that’s a good point. The hoses can be switched. I was assuming that they are hooked up like stock and match the labeling on the fuel valve under the seat.
5baf085502b5640eaf35ce495f2f3844.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
Found the source of my confusion! The plate on mine has been flipped upside down! I’ve never noticed because every time I’ve looked at it it’s been looking down there from the drivers seat or turning my head from outside and I’ve never noticed it was upside down. LOL

Attachments

• B42FB0FC-3B97-4A58-B508-0191C36D2C13.jpg
    B42FB0FC-3B97-4A58-B508-0191C36D2C13.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 111

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Found the source of my confusion! The plate on mine has been flipped upside down! I’ve never noticed because every time I’ve looked at it it’s been looking down there from the drivers seat or turning my head from outside and I’ve never noticed it was upside down. LOL

That is correct in your photo. They were upside down originally. Glad you figured it out.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
so...when the plate is upside down like mine, the pointer actually points to the tank NOT in use...or it could be plumbed to match

Then yours has been switched. The pointer should point to the tank in use.

Its easy to see that the lever was not intended to be used as the indicator because it will not move to the “off” position. The handle is simply a handle and, the pointer is used as..... well, as a pointer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
Weird. Just curious at this point. Did they use a different handle/pointer when they started mounting the plates right side up? Cause, like you said, no way to point the pointer to the off position that way is there?

OP
OP
B

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
I misinterpreted what you meant when you said "they installed them upside down originally". I took that as an early year thing that changed later. Got it now. They were always set "upside down"....

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’m not aware of the plates ever being mounted right side up and they don’t easily flip over because of the bolt holes. Some aftermarket ones may be different. In many cases they have just been removed.

It’s easy to test the valve positions, and install the hoses correctly. When under your EB looking at the valve from the rear, the center hose is the outlet. I believe the left one is the main tank and the right one is auxiliary. Trace a hose back to a tank to be sure which is which. Remove the center hose, remove the left hose and attach a short piece of hose you can blow thru. Then set the selector to point to the main tank as labeled on the indicator plate. Blow thru the hose and you should get air out the center outlet. If so, the left port is the main tank. Attach your hoses accordingly.

Just be aware they are probably old hoses and may crack or put up a fight. Sometimes it’s easier to figure things out and live with them but it sounds like you are pulling the auxiliary tank anyway so might as well sort it out right.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The left hose goes to the auxiliary tank. I just verified that on my stock ‘77 and in my Ford manual.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Sitting in the drivers seat if you look down at the valve the plate should read normally (not look upside down) because that is where you would be expected to be when you change tanks.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
When I bought my first Bronco. I had about a 200 mile drive to get it home. The main tank started looking low so I flipped the lever on the dash. I drove for a long time and the needle didn’t budge. I’m thinking “Dang that must be a big auxiliary tank”. About that time it started sputtering..... It wouldn’t start, gauge said I had gas. I had no clue what was going on. I walked about a mile to a gas station and back with a gas can to refill the main tank. Wasn’t until the next day that I found the tank switch under the seat. The auxiliary tank was almost full the whole time...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Do you see how hilarious this all sounds?
I can see making things easier for newbies, but at some point, where's the lesson?
I had to blow on the hoses to find what the valve's pointer meant.
They can figure it out if they really want to!