• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How long are my rear axles on my '76?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I know a weird question but I have my Bronco under a carport with the drivers side up against a wall. I have either busted the ring and pinion or broke an axle. I want to make sure Im far enough from the wall (but not to far the other way) so I can pull the axle out without hitting the wall. What I have read they are about 27 inches. Its a stock 9 inch rear end....Thanks for any help.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you can get a good idea by measuring from the center of the differential to the ends of the wheel studs. I would guess you need 3 feet. Good luck

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That ^^^^^^^^ minus a few inches for radius of gear all the way back to tippy tip end of wheel studs sticking out

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Your driver's side axle shaft on a '76 should be 27 3/16" long.

Todd Z.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have smooth concrete and a floor jack, you should be able to push it one way or the other once the tires are off the ground if you align the jack from the side.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks guys, I scooted it over about a foot more and should give me plenty of room..