• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 vs. NP208 Transfer /case

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
I have my '79 NP435 and what I thought was an np205 but then I noticed in the Chiltons that the NP208 was used in '79. How do I know for sure. Pro's and Cons of each.

Thanks,

Jason

OP
OP
Jabo76

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Here are pics of it.

Attachments

• Picture%20088.jpg
    Picture%20088.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63
  • Picture%20092.jpg
    Picture%20092.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 49

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a NP205.

The NP208 is an aluminum case with a chain drive.

OP
OP
Jabo76

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Thanks, also the shifter is sticking and the lever does not operate in the range what should I do?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The problem(s?) you described could be due to a lot of different things...you're going to have to be a little more specific. I'd start by pulling the covers off the 435 and the 205 and going from there. They're just cases full of gears and shafts.

OP
OP
Jabo76

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
The tranny cover is off and it is shifing fine I am just waiting for the nylon shifter fork tips from Jeffs. The NP205 shifts fine from 4h to 2h. The 4L side is not moving at all. But then again thats with it sitting on the floor.

Is there a diagram of the respective position of the shift "fork" to the shifter position?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As mentioned that's definately a NP205. The actual shift rods have 3 positions on each one. One operates the front axle and the other operates the rear axle. When both are depressed into the case all of the way I believe it is in high range on both ends. (It could be low range instead but I would need to look under mine to see) When they are both pulled out all of the way then it will be the opposite. Unless the rails have been ground for a twin stick then there is a special order that they need to be shifted for them to work. The order changes depending upon what gear your shifting into. Basically the rails limit the ability for you to shift into 2WD until after the frontend is disengaged and in neutral. It doesn't allow the frontend to shift into gear while the rear is in neutral. You can convert it to twin stick operation though by removing the rails and grinding slots in them (instructions are in the C6 203 205 Doubler tech article of mine on the left in the tech section).

Based on your last post I would make sure the other shifter is in the neutral position as it will not allow it to shift into 4L while the front axle is in high range. It may even need to be shifted into low range on that side first before the other one will shift.

OP
OP
Jabo76

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Thanks for the Tech very cool. I should add the twin while I'm in there.

Will I have to grind the shafts if I'm not doubling?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Will I have to grind the shafts if I'm not doubling?

To convert to twin stick yes. Even though everything is kind of combined in my article the shifter for the doubler is essentially a separate deal. The only thing they share is the same mounting bolt on the side of the tranny. If you don't have the doubler then it may be easier to set up the twin stick though. I.E. You may not need the extra bellcrank lever I added on the case to get my linkage to work. I'm sure your front mounting point will be different as well but maybe mine or some of the others here will give you some ideas that will make it easier. Be sure that you do it while it is out though or at least get it far enough that all it will require is bending and cutting the upper levers. Trying to work with it underneath is a bit of a pain.

OP
OP
Jabo76

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Thanks, I just got home and backed those two spring loaded screws above the pushrods out and lubricated everything and it appears to be shifting through the whole range but i think i'll twin stick it since I have it out.

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
While on the subject of T cases, are the tera low 4:1 T-Case gears a good swap in the 205? I figure the case would be stought enough. I am going rock crawling with the rig but not competitively. I will be on trails like , terminator, preditor, axle alley.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Is there TeraLow 4 to 1 gears available for the 205?
Please post a link....

Yes but only for a chevy. Also the gears require the use of their (Tera Low)case.

No ford version yet.

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
Are you sure they don't have for Ford? I thought I have seen them installed in 78-79 as well as EB in a few mags like 4 wheel and sport ute. I am not going to say I am 100% but unless they did something custom I thought them to have stock cases.
Ill check the web to see. If not I will as them If they are planning on it and will report back. because an $800 T case gear swap sounds much better then a $2000 atlas T case.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
There is a low gear swap possible for the NP203 range box making it possible to put 3.1:1 low gears in it. If you run a doubler (Np203-Np205) then this makes the choices 1:1, 1.98:1, 3.1:1, and 6.045:1. (Without the lower gear set it comes out to 1:1, 1.98:1, 2:1, and 3.96:1) As I recall it costs about $1000 for the gear swap and the NP203 case has to be sent in to be reworked. Add the $500 or so for the adapter and a couple hundred for incidentals and it's possible to get those ranges down to 6:1 for under $2000. $700 or so for 4:1 or close to it anyway if you use the stock gears in them (That's what I run BTW). This doesn't include drivelines though which will need to be reworked most likely. I still run a stock rear driveline but it's used for my frontend instead of the rearend. Originally I used the front driveline in the rear but that was a few drivelines back. It took me 3 of them to get one that would hold up. In their defense though I built the rear drivelines myself so it was a gamble on them right from the start.