• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rick's 69 Build

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Just picked her up a couple weeks ago. 1969 U15. Tub and sheet metal pretty solid, no major rust in any typical area. Some slight bubbling on lower tailgate and right front fender. Has original 302, but was rebuilt and modded in early 90's with a different cam (still mild), Edelbrock intake and Holley 650. Has original 3-speed changed to floor shift and original Dana 20 T-Shift.

Front steering linkage has been hacked up by PO, so it all needs replacing. Will probably replace existing lift kit as well, think it's 2.5" but quite old. Still has what looks to be factory springs in rear with blocks under them.

It has been upgraded with a 76 Dana 44 with discs up front, original 9" small bearing in rear with drums. Going to replace brakes all the way around along with brake lines and upgrade to power brakes. Need to upgrade to power steering as well.

Don't really care for the bumpers either, so those will go eventually.

Over all a nice rig and I'm looking forward to getting her done!

Attachments

• Front Left.jpg
    Front Left.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 316
  • Right Rear.jpg
    Right Rear.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 354
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 336
  • Front Linkage.jpg
    Front Linkage.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 436
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats, looks like a nice Bronco but please do not drive it with that steering.:eek:

Bferrari

Those bumpers would make great air tanks for on board air!! Good luck with the build.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
the rear tire carrier looks like from a 80s cheby blazer ...
very rare item and very desirable w. the military blazer and suburban guys !!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Looks like a nice rig!! Congrats!!!

The PO probably had problems fittin the steering of a 69' up to the 76' D44.
The 44 disc knuckles are different from non disc. Check with WH on the steering parts.
Good Luck!! And have fun!!!

OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Congrats, looks like a nice Bronco but please do not drive it with that steering.

No worries, not a chance! It's all coming off and sending both front and rear housings out for new seals/bearings/gears, etc.

Those bumpers would make great air tanks for on board air!! Good luck with the build.

Ha! Had not thought of that. Let me know if you know of anyone interested.

the rear tire carrier looks like from a 80s cheby blazer ...
very rare item and very desirable w. the military blazer and suburban guys !!

Interesting. If anyone knows of someone that needs it, let me know.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've already disassembled the rear drums and will be removing all the steering linkage, suspension and axle housings this weekend.

PaveBronco

looks like a good find, once you get rid of the PO's crap. Engine looks good. Also looks like it had the RT side tire carrier latch at once time. keep the updates coming, be interesting to see what other PO gem's you find.

OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Axle housings and steering linkages all coming out this weekend. While the housings are off getting rebuilt, will replace all the brake lines and add power brakes, then new steering linkages when axles return.

One thing that I have noticed is no PO has ever replaced a wire in this thing. They've added wires to add items or replace a bad connection, but they didn't necessarily remove the old wiring. %) There are wires everywhere! I'll definitely need to put in a Centech/Painless harness before long.

Sporto

I like the soft doors. I think the PO had the snaps on the windshield channel and front lower section added. There are small parts that hold these in place that are much more aesthetically pleasing than those. However they look to be in decent shape. :)

Great find, keep us updated on your build!

Rich

OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Started removing the front axle housing today. Got front drive shaft off, brake line off, shocks disconnected, and radius arms loosened. The ball joint holding the drag link to the pitman arm was broken, so the nut just turned. Had to remove the entire pitman arm. That took a bit of effort, but it finally came off.

One thing I did notice, was the were no nuts on any of the body mount bolts :eek:%). The previous owner was driving it this way, crazy!!

Attachments

• DSC03590.jpg
    DSC03590.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 148

Bferrari

Wow! Better check the entire rig with a fine tooth comb! Glad to see your sorting it all out, keep it up!

OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Ordered a complete power brake package today, booster, hard lines, flex stainless steel lines, proportioning valve, almost everything needed to make the braking system new. Looking forward to putting things on this rig vs taking them off!

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The washer is the nut for the stock body mount. Their are threads inside the washer.

Attachments

• todd02.jpg
    todd02.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Took the axle assemblies to Hopper this week. He got them disassembled. Next stop, media blast and paint, then reassembly. Replacing every thing; seals, bearings, and ball joints. Adding chromoly axles, an Aussie Locker, and 4.56 gears in the Dana 44. Changing to 31 spline axles and a Yukon Grizzly Locker out back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Been slowly disassembling. Got it up in the air and removed all the suspension, steering and brakes. Original plan was to rebuild/replace all of that and drive it a while. Then found some rust in some normal areas (driver door post, driver floor board, both upper/inner fenders). Decided I will pull body and fix everything now. Here's some progress pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3655.jpg
    IMG_3655.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
I had already ordered all the brake, steering and suspension parts. Power brake conversion from Bronco Graveyard with all new hard and soft stainless lines and complete new drum setup for rear. Steering and front suspension (3.5" lift) from Wild Horses, and 3.5" rear leaf's from Duff's. Nobody had a complete suspension system, so pieced it together. I also picked up all new radius arm bolts, rear shackle bolts, new bushings, 6 degree shim kit, drop pitman arm, etc.

The plan is to get it rolling again, measure for new driveshafts, then strip it bare, pull the body and re-disassemble the chassis. Then media blast, repair, paint, and reassemble. Easy right!

Attachments

• IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Fair amount of progress in the last few weeks. Getting ready to take the entire rig to Arkansas to let BroncoJAK do the work on the tub that needs done (all the welding stuff I can't do) and get it ready for paint.

As you can see from earlier pics, I had to put all the suspension and steering back under it to transport it. Now that i've measured for driveshafts and shocks, i'll continue to disassemble as much as possible before taking to John. I got the carpet out and the roll bar, a little worried about some of the rust where the roll bar was mounted.

I'll leave the tub with John and bring chassis back with me and have the frame blasted/painted, and get the tranny swap done, new brake lines in, etc. When John's done with the tub, I'll take the chassis back to have him mate them back together.

Sorry some of the pics are sideways, they aren't that way on my computer. :-[

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
redwards69

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Things are moving along, albeit, slower than I would have liked. The truck is as disassembled as I can get it and still transport it. Got the engine and trans out this past weekend. Next step is to get it to BroncoJAK to do all the sheet metal repair and paint.

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg