• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Hoist

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Curious if anyone has this engine hoist and if they like it? I am short on space, so I need one that folds up. I have been using my neighbors, but he needs it back. I need to buy one so I can continue making the minimal progress I am making!

Ok - I have no idea how to link the northern tool 2 ton engine hoist. Everytime I try it takes the link to vigilink???

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
look on craigslist, buy used one in good shape, pay half or less what HF sells new for, sell it when done for half what HF sells it for, job done.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
That looks like the same unit as Northern Tool. I wonder if HF will let me use a 25% off coupon on that?

They let me use one of those coupons on their one ton hoist, don't see why they wouldn't.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
X-3 on HF 2-TON,I've used mine for other thing besides pulling engines, lifted a boat off trailer, used it to load things in the pickup.;D

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Ive used mine a bunch for alot of things. Even lifting the riding mower so i can change blades without lating on my back!! Just watch your fingers when putting the legs in and out. Almost cut mine off

ransil

Bronco Guru
find someone local that will loan you one, they mostly sit around taking up space.
beware last time I did that I had to store it for 2 years plus, but I was able to loan it out and the next guy stored it for 2 years.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
find someone local that will loan you one, they mostly sit around taking up space.
beware last time I did that I had to store it for 2 years plus, but I was able to loan it out and the next guy stored it for 2 years.

This is what I have been doing, but now he needs it back. I need to just find another guy with one to borrow!!!

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I bought the Northern tool 2ton but haven't used it yet, I have a 390FE on they're engine stand and it was nice, but I've also had good luck with HF jacks, currently have 2. :cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I got the orange HF style 2-ton unit nearly 20 years ago. Before HF was as big as it is now. Looks just like the HF right down to the color but it isn't. I keep it half knocked down in a storage closet in the garage. I'm about to pull it out to lift a 460.

If I have to knock it for one thing it is the front legs are a bit tall. Many times I have had to jack up a car to get the legs under it. I have even had issues with my trailer being too low. Having to park on blocks of wood so the hoist will clear the axle. Not bad enough that I would replace it, but enough that I would shop for shorter legs if I ever had to. I've seen nicer hoists that the ends of the legs have a heavy steel plate that puts the caster at the end of the leg instead of under the leg. Overall height of the leg drops from 8" to 5".

I'm now leaking jack oil. Thinking of upgrading to an air over hydraulic 8-ton ram.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I have the one ton folding hoist. Looks like this. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640933_200640933 I think it came from Northern. I have used it beyond capacity and it spent a couple of years outside and the cylinder finally failed on it a couple of months ago. I can't complain I have abused it for 10 years. Gotta pick up another cylinder and get it back in business.

I have this one as well. I'd recommend the 2 ton over the 1 ton. I'm not a big fan of the rickety setup it uses to support it when folded. The 2 ton has four wheels, versus two wheels and a lame metal foot when folded up.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have this one as well. I'd recommend the 2 ton over the 1 ton. I'm not a big fan of the rickety setup it uses to support it when folded. The 2 ton has four wheels, versus two wheels and a lame metal foot when folded up.

Looks like the 2 ton is on sale for only $10 more right now. Definitely a better setup.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru

lol... I'm currently storing my friends hoist... (only had it 6 months so far...)