• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions

Jakedog

Camping season is coming up, and although we only make a couple of trips during the summer, I have always used my Tacoma 4x4. Its been a long time since I have had a bronco for going off road.
My concern is with where we camp. We go to Monache meadows every year, and the elevation is pretty high up. We camp around 8000` and the drive in is slow and rocky for about the first mile or more. and there are no services for many miles. If we break down its a long walk out. I'm sure some members on here have been to monache meadows and know exactly what im talking about.

The bronco runs good but I still run a carburetor.
Would you guys take the bronco or the Tacoma?

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
A couple of questions would be are you alone? Is the Bronco dependable? Have you had issues before at altitude? If traveling with another vehicle or a group I would take the Bronco if there's been no issues. If there has, or your instincts are telling you to play it safe and take the yota, do it.

I ran my Bronco with a carburated 302 at and around the Kennedy Meadows area many times and had no issues.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ive run in the same areas and up in big Bear at 8,000 feet. With the stock Bronco carb set at sea level if it gets hot and bumpy its not allot of fun. I Changed my Carb to a Quadrajet and all those issues went away. Something that will help your stock carb is a fuel pressure regulator. Drop the pressure down to 2 psi for bumpy trail riding. less fuel will bypass as the float bounces and it will take allot longer before the carb floods over. Better chance of using up the high fuel level before it over flows and stalls the engine. Just remember to turn the pressure back up before you go running street or highway speeds.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I routinely use the Bronco to pull the trailer to the Kaiser Wilderness Above Fresno CA for hunting trips. Over 9000' elevation.
The Bronco has a carbureted 302. No problems pulling the trailer and carrying a trail bike and all the gear.

I also have a 4X4 Tacoma, and would never even try to use it to get my trailer into an area like this.

This photo is one of my favorite camps. It's a remote horse camp, complete with log furniture.

One of the great things about National Forest areas, is that you can camp for free just about anywhere.

Attachments

• Hunt 2010.jpg
    Hunt 2010.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Blubuck With Trail 90.jpg
    Blubuck With Trail 90.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 55

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I routinely use the Bronco to pull the trailer to the Kaiser Wilderness Above Fresno CA for hunting trips. Over 9000' elevation.
The Bronco has a carbureted 302. No problems pulling the trailer and carrying a trail bike and all the gear.

I also have a 4X4 Tacoma, and would never even try to use it to get my trailer into an area like this.

This photo is one of my favorite camps. It's a remote horse camp, complete with log furniture.

One of the great things about National Forest areas, is that you can camp for free just about anywhere.
Looks like good squatchy territory lol. :cool: