• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric power steering pump/coyote project

stock orange

Due to Clearance issues with my custom 4 link and coil over suspension I am not able to run a regular power steering pump on my Coyote engine. There is just not enough space to put the power steering pump where the Alternator usually goes. My 4x2 steering box is too close to the motor and would hit the Alt or PS pump. Moving the 4x2 box is not possible. Trust me

I plan on using PBH bracket to put the Alternator on the right side of the motor.

My whole front end is a very custom build and changing anything even 1/2 inch from where it is already would cause too much trouble!

So my options are either a EPS system or a electric power steering pump that I can place anywhere.

The EPS systems are great on smaller cars or non lifted trucks that weigh under 4500 lbs with regular wheels and tires. Once you add 33 inch tires I have been told he stress on the steering motor will get me into some trouble. Don't like trouble with steering.

If someone knows better please tell me.

That leaves me to a simple Electric power steering pump. I have read that the 3rd generation for the Toyota MR2 is the best pump.

Either of these options are not a very common upgrade on our broncos. I am just asking if anyone has tried either system and if so what pump or EPS system are you using.

I had build my bronco with the idea that I was installing a explorer 5.0 with a
4R70 transmission.

Then last month I went crazy and got a coyote motor with a 6R80 Transmission.
So now I have the fun time trying to figure this all out. The good thing is that it forces me to keep learning about stuff. Good for my old brain.

Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have not tried it but there is an electric power steering pump that you should be able to find in junkyards fairly easy. 2013 and newer Pathfinder (and similar vintage Altima) have an electric power steering pump that runs on 12V. I know of one swap using this and it is working. Originally computer controlled variable speed but the swap I have seen just runs it at full speed

OP
OP
S

stock orange

Thanks so far.

All the belt systems, BCB, power by the hour, March system etc etc will not fit. That is the easy answer. The EPS system are questionable when you are using 33 inch tires and weighting over 4500 lbs.
I will look into the pathfinder

JeffW

Hello Stock Orange,

Sorry to bug you, but did you find a solution here? I am facing a similar challenge. I am installing a Coyote and 6R80 out of a 2012 F150 into a 1978 Bronco. It has factory AC, Alternator and no power steering. (Power steering was electric in the 2012 F150, but for a steering rack). I really don't have room to try to use one of the bracket systems or other pulley driven systems.

Like you, I will have a lift and large tires on the Bronco.

It would be great if I could find something that will work that is electric. Ideally it could be turned on and off by the PCM, but that isn't a must.

Did you have any luck finding an electric solution? Any details would be great!

Thanks,

Jeff

Sightline

Im planning on using a mid 2000's Volvo electric power steering pump in my Coyote build but havent done it yet so cant speak to its operation or handling characteristics. Buddy used an S60 pump in his F100 coyote build and it works great but that isnt turning large offroad tires. My 71 EB will have 35's so guess i'll see. Id love to hear if anyone has used a volvo pump successfully. Oh, Im also set up for hydroboost too..........
'

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Thanks so far.

All the belt systems, BCB, power by the hour, March system etc etc will not fit. That is the easy answer. The EPS system are questionable when you are using 33 inch tires and weighting over 4500 lbs.
I will look into the pathfinder
We have done 2 Coyote powered supercharged Broncos and have used electric power steering on them in conjunction with our serpentine kit (power steering pump omitted) using 35 inch tires on both. the system works great. Our new kit will be available soon. The kit will come with the power unit, a new steering column, lower shaft and mount. This is one of the new parts we tried to have out for our 25th anniversary but we didn't want to show it until we had stock in hand.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
How does it feel compared to hydraulic?
It is hydraulic....it;s just an electric motor that drives the pump as opposed to a pump thats driven by a belt...mazda used them as well but there is a built in module that uses CAN data lines and is configured to the vehicle but maybe set up to run .

Duffy just saw... I guess your asking about BCB system and steering feel....

Last edited:

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Lots of info out there on the 04-09 Prius EPS. Some are turning some big tires with it. Picked up the parts needed and will be adding them to my Samurai very soon. Vintage mustang guys are adding it under dash. I'll be adding it under the hood. The ECU is NOT waterproof so I will extend the wiring and mount in the cab under the dash. Plan to turn 32's I think the Prius is one of if not the largest motors on the EPS system that can be used. Really neat how the system works. Sensor provides a torque input and the ECM provides varying voltage to the motor (up to 16V) based off the sensor reading. If the system goes out it's just like manual steering. The motor is not active and does not provide resistance.

The electric pump sounds interesting.

List if cars that have Fail-Safe Electric Steering (I'm sure there are others). Only 3 wire connection.
Ignition On, Power and Ground to the Steering ECU. That's it.

2004-2009 Toyota Prius
2009-2013 Toyota Corolla
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS)
2007-2014 Nissan Versa
2009-2012 Nissan Cube
2012-2014 Kia Soul

ECU Part Numbers:
2004-2009 Toyota Prius 89650-47102 (89650-47101 also works. Verified by me on my bench)
2009-2013 Toyota Corolla 89650-02300
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS) 89650-52120 / 52050
2007-2009 Nissan Versa 28500-EM30A / 991-30303
2009-2012 Nissan Cube 28500-1FC0B / JL501-000932
2012-2014 Kia Soul B2563-99500 / 4PSG1312 / FPSG1312

Tim

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
How does it feel compared to hydraulic?
It feels similar but is adjustable so you can change it to the feel you like. The really cool thing is if you have a non running/ no engine Bronco, but have a battery you can steer it

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It feels similar but is adjustable so you can change it to the feel you like. The really cool thing is if you have a non running/ no engine Bronco, but have a battery you can steer it
How does the shaft attach to the knuckles? Since the power steering box isn't used?

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
No it is an electric motor. It still needs a steering box but you can use a manual box or a power steering box whatever you have installed. We have tested it both ways and feels about the same, I think if I had to pick one over the other I would use a manual box because it is smaller and easier to get.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, there is some confusion about electric power steering going on here. So here are the basics. There are 3 systems out there in general.

The most common new car/truck electric power steering is an electric assist rack. It is a rack and pinion that is used with IFS, there is an electric motor attached directly to the rack. This is not that viable to retrofit into a Bronco. So forget this one.

This thread started with a discussion of electric over hydraulic system. The actual steering box is a regular hydraulic assist power steering box. It is just the hydraulic pump is driven by a dedicated electric motor instead of a belt off the engine. In cars the pump runs different speeds depending on computer commands but is known to run full speed without issues.

The third version that was thrown in this thread a few posts ago is an electric assist steering column. This is a dry system much like a rack mounted electric motor version, no hydraulic fluid. But also note what cars it comes off of. Yaris, Note, Prius, Cube, Soul, these are small lightweight cars. Skinny tires that could be driven without power steering for the most part. They have a manual steering rack. Comments about putting them in an early mustang, they are still a fairly light car as well. In a Bronco, think again. You are still dealing with the manual steering box and there is no way around that 6-turn box. Do you even have a good tight manual steering box? Most of the ones I have been around are pretty worn out and junk. Adding power assist in front of that is still a worn out steering box. Next up is the level of assist, Going back to the small cars they came from, there is not that much assist. These electric assist columns are great for adding power steering to a side by side. I would consider them questionable in a little (stock) tire Bronco. Any typical Bronco, it will work going down the road, parking lot you will be running out of assist. I also know they have thermal limits. In the original small car there are warning lights on the dash for reduced assist due to motor overheat and can go so far to turn itself off if fully overheated. And that is the small lightweight original car. I do see great potential in using them in the hobby car market, even using a small controller to make a CAN speed signal they can use to back off the assist at speed just like the original programming does. But these are not properly sized for a Bronco.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've got the Prius system installed on my Samurai and it's great. Turns my 31 with one finger while sitting on pavement lock to lock. Works perfect at 60mph too.

It's no Bronco for sure I mean i get it. That said a Prius weighs 3200 pounds. Stock 77 Bronco is about 3500 pounds

I'll put the system on my Sam throight the paces this deer season. Lots of trails and making trails.

Got my complete setup for less than $200 at the salvage yard

Tim